Technical 500X (2016) Rear Window Heater Timer

Currently reading:
Technical 500X (2016) Rear Window Heater Timer

PaulB2016

Cold wet weather at the minute means using the air con and rear window heater.

I've noticed that if I hit the Max Defrost button hit goes to Max Temp ("HI"), brings the fans up and directs the heat to the window. It also switches on the rear windows heating strips. It runs for 5 minutes or so then returns to the previous settings.

If I switch the rear window heater on by itself in previous cars it would run for 5 minutes and switch off. IN my 500X it runs until I cancel it manually (as far as I can see). I does turn off after a 15-20 minute drive to or from work.

Is there a timer on this?

Dammit.

Last bit should be

It does NOT turn off during a 15-20 minute drive to work.

I think what you observe is correct.

When you choose Max Defrost (left most button) the system is put into automatic mode and drives the heating/aircon/mirror/other till the system deems enough is enough.

When you hit the rear screen/mirror defrost button then (sadly not accurately documented) is a manual override. Same as if you had turned your fog lamps (front/rear) or your headlamps.

I'm fairly sure mine turned itself off with just the rear screen/mirrors defrost button pushed. I'll check and report back next time I use it.

Mine's the same, i did'nt know i had heated mirrors until a spot of frost last week. The handbook makes no mention of them.

IN my 500X it runs until I cancel it manually (as far as I can see). I does turn off after a 15-20 minute drive to or from work.

So, it runs forever if you're standing still, but it turns off in 15-20 minutes if you start driving? Did I get that correctly?

So, it runs forever if you're standing still, but it turns off in 15-20 minutes if you start driving? Did I get that correctly?

No. As per my next post I corrected myself. I couldn’t edit that post.

Last bit should be

No. As per my next post I corrected myself. I couldn’t edit that post.

Last bit should be

Ah, sorry, somehow I failed to notice that one.

Well, my manual (the US version) states that "the rear window defroster automatically turns off after approximately 20 minutes" and that's the behavior I normally observe, regardless of the way the defroster was activated.

Ah, sorry, somehow I failed to notice that one.

Ah not to worry. All help appreciated.

after approximately 20 minutes

Ah maybe I don't really give it long enough then...

Freezing here at the minute (north east uk) so will try to remember to carry out a longer check tomorrow.

Thanks

Back