IMG_2148.JPG

500 500 TwinAir Plus

Introduction

Got my new car yesterday,

There was a very tiny dent in the front wing :(
They are getting dent master to fix it, plus I have one in my Caravelle which can be done the same time, so positive from a negative :)

Tried quite hard on the way to work, and got nearly 58mpg out of it.

Just fitted the Brodit clip, need to run a usb cable to the usb port now.

Going to matte black vinyl the roof in the next few weeks, and I wonder if one of those very short antennas will fit ? There are a new accessory for the new Panda...

It definitely needs a beating with the lowering stick :yum:

Reactions: Crazy But True
Really like the centre caps on the wheels. Where these a special order I thought they had either a red or silver ring on them?

Scored this exact model as courtesy car today, its a nice car, though I will echo comments you've made about lack of flexibility in the twin air, although it don't half build revs quick once its on boost :D

Put some miles on it and you'll find it becomes better low down, smoother and more torquey.

Agreed. Ours feels almost as good in Eco mode now (1500 miles) as it did in normal mode when it was brand new. The engine noise levels also fade into the background much more quickly than they did, which is welcome.

I agree about the flexibility though - the diesel-like low down torque makes me think i can slot it into gear & just go for it, but unless you match the revs & gears perfectly it feels very shuddery.

Just topped the car up. I've done 280 miles now,
According to the computer, 45.3mpg. According to fuelly 44 mpg

Hopefully now my Citroen will be gone from my signature and the fiat will be there instead.

A new chapter begins(y)

So, for those who are interested, back to the oil leak!

As I posted yesterday, I filled the car up with fuel.
Go outside to leave for work this morning to find this.

IMG_2170.jpg

which leads to a stream of this

IMG_2168.jpg

So me being the genius who always fails to impress myself deduct :idea: It's Petrol.

So drove to the dealers, they checked and said indeed the fuel tank is leaking.

Got me a nice BNW TA+ with leather, interscope, piano black roof and pdc to keep me going until they fix it, so not all bad, and who knows maybe my mpg will be better too when it comes back?

Must say before i go about my dealer, "Griffin Mill" how ace they are. After reading about flashyphotos hassle with her dealer over the stop/start, it just goes to show not all dealers are the same.
This morning, I just turn up, they immediately put my car on the ramp to diagnose, then give me the White TA+ to go on with. They have ordered the parts they need for overnight delivery to fix the car tomorrow.
Can't get better than that really?

We bought our 500 from them back in 2009, were it not for the fact we moved I would have no hesitation in going back there.

Very good garage - much more so than Wessex down in Cardiff (from personal experience anyway). Think Wessex have had a few changes - I believe the bloke who sold us our 500 at GM now works for them, he was actually really good but I would never go to Wessex again even if you paid me.

Fingers crossed the car doesn't take long to fix anyway.

Is the fuel leak to do with leaking unions or is it the tank itself as I believe the tank is of plastic construction. Good to hear you have a good dealership

I'm unsure Chas, I will ask when I collect it which parts were replaced.

Just curiosity 'cos not used to plastic petrol tanks, which are extremely vulnerable when it comes to a 'fuel crisis'. Not sure how robust they are, but must have passed the required safety criteria.

Just curiosity 'cos not used to plastic petrol tanks, which are extremely vulnerable when it comes to a 'fuel crisis'. Not sure how robust they are, but must have passed the required safety criteria.

Plastic fuel tanks have been around for at least 25 years - the first I saw was the 1986 Uno FIRE that my Mum had :) My Tipo, Croma, Tempra, and 4x 164s have all had plastic tanks. Not sure what you mean about 'extremely vulnerable' as they're tough as old boots - a thick polypropylene material less likely to split at the seams when distorted than a steel tank would, the thicker material can't be easily dented - I've never seen a dent in a plastic tank - but the best part is that they don't rust inside, which has got to be a benefit with the introduction of ethanol in petrol. Another benefit is that where the pump/sender unit fits, the seating/sealing seems more reliable than the bolted flange which used to distort on steel tanks.

I expect a leaking problem will be either incorrect fitting of the sender unit or the various pipes and hoses connected around the filler neck, intended to improve the flow when filling the tank but also the cause of a leak only when the tank is near-full.

-Alex

Last edited:
Plastic fuel tanks have been around for at least 25 years - the first I saw was the 1986 Uno FIRE that my Mum had :) My Tipo, Croma, Tempra, and 4x 164s have all had plastic tanks. Not sure what you mean about 'extremely vulnerable' as they're tough as old boots - a thick polypropylene material less likely to split at the seams when distorted than a steel tank would, the thicker material can't be easily dented - I've never seen a dent in a plastic tank - but the best part is that they don't rust inside, which has got to be a benefit with the introduction of ethanol in petrol. Another benefit is that where the pump/sender unit fits, the seating/sealing seems more reliable than the bolted flange which used to distort on steel tanks.

I expect a leaking problem will be either incorrect fitting of the sender unit or the various pipes and hoses connected around the filler neck, intended to improve the flow when filling the tank but also the cause of a leak only when the tank is near-full.

-Alex

I think this may be a reference to the risk of petrol theft - it's easier to punch a hole in it.

And yes, IIRC my 1989 R5 had a plastic tank & I remember noticing this by the rust particles that didn't collect in the fuel filter :). I've had at least 3 old cars with metal tanks which have rusted along the seams :mad:.

I think this may be a reference to the risk of petrol theft - it's easier to punch a hole in it.

Yes I was relating to petrol theft. I read somewhere that there have been a couple of instances of theft from 500's.(n)

Not just 500s, lots of cars apparantly. They say it's worse with high build cars with easily accessible tanks.

I've had my spare wheel nicked from the cradle underneath too - they cut through the supporting wires. Now my spare is in the boot, and my next car will certainly have an internal spare, like all my previous cars. From now on external spares are a deal breaker.

As for the fuel tanks - fuel theft will increase as the cost of fuel goes up: low-lifes will ruin anyhting for a pint of petrol to get back to the girlfriend's doss or score a quick line - armoured tanks anyone?

Last edited:
Is the fuel leak to do with leaking unions or is it the tank itself as I believe the tank is of plastic construction. Good to hear you have a good dealership

Sorry for long delay on reply Chas,

It was only the tank itself leaking, that was all that was replaced afaik.

Here's another pic of my 500 a few months on. It needs a clean.

Back