General 500 TA Key Code Card

Currently reading:
General 500 TA Key Code Card

myothercarisabike

Picked up a 2012 TA Lounge last night ... nearly perfect w/6,500 miles on the clock .. just reading through all the docs I got from the seller and see a reference to a "Code Card" that should have

- electronic code

- mechanical code

I don't see this card in the stuff I got lat night .. am I going to need this when the wife loses the key? Can a dealer retrieve these codes somehow?

I wonder if it is the key cutting code and the stereo unlocking code, rather than the key cutting code and the "immobiliser code".

I'm not sure you actually get an "immobiliser code" these days as they are rolling codes and keys are usually "programmed in" (read: the car is programmed to accept the new key) via the OBD-2 diagnostic port. I guess there are relatively few key cutting codes and the dealer would need this to order in a pre cut key that is then programmed as above. I'd be amazed if the dealer couldn't look up any code via the VIN number.

I believe these are usually lodged with the ISR by FIAT (my stereo code certainly wasn't...). TBH that seems like an unnecessary faff these days as most car thieves nick the keys anyway, and who nicks car stereos any more?

Might be worth mentioning to your wife that proper remote keys are £hundreds (well north of £200 often quoted) from a dealer. Timpsons can do them cheaper but I'm not sure they are remote ones.

Last edited:
I wonder if it is the key cutting code and the stereo unlocking code, rather than the key cutting code and the "immobiliser code".

I'm not sure you actually get an "immobiliser code" these days as they are rolling codes and keys are usually "programmed in" (read: the car is programmed to accept the new key) via the OBD-2 diagnostic port. I guess there are relatively few key cutting codes and the dealer would need this to order in a pre cut key that is then programmed as above. I'd be amazed if the dealer couldn't look up any code via the VIN number.

I believe these are usually lodged with the ISR by FIAT (my stereo code certainly wasn't...). TBH that seems like an unnecessary faff these days as most car thieves nick the keys anyway, and who nicks car stereos any more?

Might be worth mentioning to your wife that proper remote keys are £hundreds (well north of £200 often quoted) from a dealer. Timpsons can do them cheaper but I'm not sure they are remote ones.
I never got how expensive proper remote keys are. They prob cost Fiat no more than 10 GBP. Thats a markup of like, a lot!

I never got how expensive proper remote keys are. They prob cost Fiat no more than 10 GBP. Thats a markup of like, a lot!

In the early 90's I worked in the warranty dept. of a major Japanese importer here. Access to their data showed markups in the region of 200%+.

In one case a leather-wrapped steering wheel landed for about $150 and was available at the spare parts counter for about $600.

Picked up a 2012 TA Lounge last night ... nearly perfect w/6,500 miles on the clock .. just reading through all the docs I got from the seller and see a reference to a "Code Card" that should have

- electronic code

- mechanical code

I don't see this card in the stuff I got lat night .. am I going to need this when the wife loses the key? Can a dealer retrieve these codes somehow?

With both our cars we received a plastic card with the 'electronic code' (a 5 digit number) and 'mechanical code' (2 letters and 5 digits) and also a Bosch 'passport' with radio model number, serial number and activation code (4 digits). These were packed with the keys originally and handed over with the manuals.

The dealer was a bit over the top with dotting t's and crossing i's - bureaucracy gone mad in fact - but to their credit they were thorough.

On my spare key I do have a plastic tag that has a 4 digit number written on is .. doesn't say what that code is for though ..

Also there's a Bosch card that is labeled "Audio / Navigation System Passport" .. guessing that's for the stereo tho

Saw this on a different thread so probably explains why I don't have the Key Code Card ..

" .. I've read that in the UK, the keycode card is not supplied with new Fiats. This is something to do with a request by the Association of British Insurers (in theory, having the code would enable a thief to get a new key made/coded). If necessary, main dealers should be able to get the code from Fiat. This places limitations on getting replacement keys if both originals are lost (i.e. you have to go to main dealer)."

I'd be surprised if the Bosch one is for the stereo, the 500 uses a blaupunkt stereo?

Does the spare key actually work on your car? Could be for a different car.

On my spare key I do have a plastic tag that has a 4 digit number written on is .. doesn't say what that code is for though ..

Also there's a Bosch card that is labeled "Audio / Navigation System Passport" .. guessing that's for the stereo tho

Saw this on a different thread so probably explains why I don't have the Key Code Card ..

" .. I've read that in the UK, the keycode card is not supplied with new Fiats. This is something to do with a request by the Association of British Insurers (in theory, having the code would enable a thief to get a new key made/coded). If necessary, main dealers should be able to get the code from Fiat. This places limitations on getting replacement keys if both originals are lost (i.e. you have to go to main dealer)."

The number on the plastic tag may simply be the dealer's stock number.

If a thief only needed to present that card to prove ownership and obtain a new key that would be fair enough but surely you'd need more than that?

- electronic code

- mechanical code

Code held by ISR / Fiat, card not given out in uk, can be obtained from Fiat Dealer

I'd be surprised if the Bosch one is for the stereo, the 500 uses a blaupunkt stereo?

Does the spare key actually work on your car? Could be for a different car.

Well it would appear that I was wrong, just looked at mine and it's also called an Audio/Navigation System Passport....

Trust Fiat to do that :)

Back