General 500 screeching noise

Currently reading:
General 500 screeching noise

Lauralouball

Hello,
I'm new to the forum and I have googled my issue but I can only find posted from 2013 and later and was hoping someone had a more up to date response to my issue.
My 500 sport 08 plate makes a really loud screech noise when I start the engine from cold. I've been reading stuff about the belt? But I'm sadly not clued up on what and why the belt would make this noise, the car does fun fine and apart from making a screech when I first start the engine I have no other problems.
If it is the belt does anyone have a rough idea on how much it would cost to get it fixed?

The belt (it's the fan, aka. auxillary belt)makes the noise because it's slipping on one of the pulleys- probably the alternator. Not an unusual problem on cars as they get old- usually it's a result of the belt slightly stretching and becomes a little loose on the pulley [EDIT: Not on an aircon equipped 500 it isn't, as they've got a separate tensioner. Doh], and/or the belt wears/glazes so it is not as grippy.

Usual practice is to replace the belt. Shouldn't be mega money (any garage can do it)- I'd expect a new belt and an hours labour at most, or a competent DIY'r should find it fairly easy (though I can't remember the tensioning procedure- I think it's only certain 1.2s that have a need for a special tool and think that's for the cambelt).

Shop4parts have the belt for under 9 quid and a tensioner for about 30, if that is necessary to replace.

Not a major problem and very unlikely to do major damage even if the belt was to totally fail (though, of course, you would lose alternator power and air con etc.)

Last edited:
Belts deteriorate over time. If it's a belt it shouldn't cost a lot, but a tensioner that the belts go on could be a bit more.

Ok thanks for the fast response! Is there anything else it could be? I know I'm sort of asking a daft question because you can't see it for your self but from the explanation.
Also, why does it only do it when the engines cold? Is the belt looser cold and gets tighter as its warming up?

Also, why does it only do it when the engines cold? Is the belt looser cold and gets tighter as its warming up?

If anything it's the opposite, but that's a negligible effect.

They usually start off doing it when it's cold as that's when the alternator is under the most load (ie. most difficult to turn) as it's recharging the battery that's been cold overnight and just started a cold engine. The alternator itself is also more difficult to turn as that's been sat overnight too, so the bearings etc are a little bit stiffer. Eventually it may start squealing on hot starts, for longer, all the time etc.

It's 99% the auxillary belt- squealing when cold and the engine has just started is a classic symptom.

Really it's a minor problem (though very annoying) that whilst it needs fixing isn't going to ruin the engine or cost many hundreds to fix..

Last edited:
Ok thanks ? I'll go get it sorted, fingers crossed I can sound like I know what I'm talking about so they don't fob me off!! Haha

My 1.2 does this too, I've changed the auxiliary belt and tensioner but Its made no difference

The local garage mentioned VW Golfs do this, on them its the starter motor that sticks and cause a very similar noise

I thought it might be the alternator causing the problem but it works fine

Has anyone had the same problem and fixed it!

Cheers

When it screeches while you have the key on 'crank', it is the starter motor not engaging properly, this may happen when it's cold and the gears inside stick a bit. Lubrication may help here. If it hapoens too often, gears get worn. Needs maintenance
Screeching once the car runs is the fan belt because of the high load on the alternator after start, belt being cold and not so flexible and tension a bit too low. Not critical, but should be fixed over time.

Back