General 500 Questions.

Currently reading:
General 500 Questions.

Hi all,

Ok dont worry, its not 500-questions, its more like 5 or 6 questions.

Here the deal, I've been a Punto HGT owner for 5 or so years, but within the next few months the £240 tax is due, my crazy £800 insurance is due & thanks to David Cameron the added 2.5% tax on the ≃20mpg I'm getting doesn't favour me either.
I've set my heart, mind & wallet on getting a little 1.2 500, as the £30 tax £35pm insurance & double the mileage (not forgetting the looks) of the 500 are really appealing to me, I just have a few questions that need alittle light shedding on.

• When the G.Punto came out everyone said avoid the 1.2 as it did the job but was maybe alittle to small for a car that size. Whats the 1.2 like in the 500 is it more nippy than it would seem, with it being a smaller car? It's not the move from 1.8 - 1.2 thats bothers me, just the view of weather its woth investing in one & is capable of being a day-to-day car.
  • What is the main differences in features between the Pop, Lounge & Sport? Is the sport the prefered model, or is the lounge just as good?
  • I'm going to be in the market for a used 08-09 which all seem to have around 10k-20k on the clock, with this in mind what does a potential 500 owner look for in the common faults deparment when viewing?

Any help at all is greatly received & much appreciated. (y)

• When the G.Punto came out everyone said avoid the 1.2 as it did the job but was maybe alittle to small for a car that size. Whats the 1.2 like in the 500 is it more nippy than it would seem, with it being a smaller car? It's not the move from 1.8 - 1.2 thats bothers me, just the view of weather its woth investing in one & is capable of being a day-to-day car.

The 1.2 is a great little engine which IMO has adequate performance for everyday use, combined with great economy - I get over 55mpg out of mine. Only you can decide if it's got sufficient performance for your needs; just test drive one to find out.

• What is the main differences in features between the Pop, Lounge & Sport? Is the sport the prefered model, or is the lounge just as good?

All differences are down to trim & options - the 1.2 engine is common across all 3 variants, performance is the same. The Pop is the only one without A/C; the Lounge is by far the most popular, its huge (fixed) glass roof makes the car feel more spacious. The Sport is similar to the lounge, trading that glass roof for better seats & a rear spoiler.

• I'm going to be in the market for a used 08-09 which all seem to have around 10k-20k on the clock, with this in mind what does a potential 500 owner look for in the common faults deparment when viewing?

If economy is your greatest concern, less money (around £6k) will easily buy you a brand new 1.2 Panda with similar performance & a fresh 3 year warranty. Apart from the obvious styling differences, they are almost identical cars.

The 1.2 is a great little engine which IMO has adequate performance for everyday use, combined with great economy - I get over 55mpg out of mine. Only you can decide if it's got sufficient performance for your needs; just test drive one to find out.

All differences are down to trim & options - the 1.2 engine is common across all 3 variants, performance is the same. The Pop is the only one without A/C; the Lounge is by far the most popular, its huge (fixed) glass roof makes the car feel more spacious. The Sport is similar to the lounge, trading that glass roof for better seats & a rear spoiler.

If economy is your greatest concern, less money (around £6k) will easily buy you a brand new 1.2 Panda with similar performance & a fresh 3 year warranty. Apart from the obvious styling differences, they are almost identical cars.

Spot on with those answers.

Thanks guys, I think the thing with the engine size is not entirely a penny pitching exercise, as more of seeing what others in the know think. If people were to say in there masses "sacrifice the extra 10mpg & pay the £100 extra tax & get the 1.4 as the 1.2 ain't a patch on it" then I would, but 2 people so far are crediting the 1.2 which is good, I mostly do town miles but my only preference would be it didn't struggle doing 60-70 on the m.way every now & then.

As far as the panda is concerned (going against everything I've said above I do have a little crush on the panda 100hp), But.. & it's a big but - it's come down to finding a middle ground as the GF's only allowing me to get a newer car as the 500 would become hers after a few years, its took me a fair bit to convince her she wants 500 & not a Ka.:nutter:

I wouldn't say it struggles at all at 70, but it does feel like it could do with another gear.

Call me an old fart but I tend to slow down to 65 and enjoy the view (and the better numbers on the mpg readout).

If people were to say in there masses "sacrifice the extra 10mpg & pay the £100 extra tax & get the 1.4 as the 1.2 ain't a patch on it"

and remember also the extra insurance cost of a 1.4. Staying with insurance, the Lounge/Sport will likely cost you slightly more than the Pop - how much will, of course, depend on your driving history.

Last edited:
I wouldn't say it struggles at all at 70, but it does feel like it could do with another gear.

Call me an old fart but I tend to slow down to 65 and enjoy the view (and the better numbers on the mpg readout).

I wouldn't say it struggles either but I wouldn't say it needs another gear. 69bhp is only going to accelerate you so fast through the air when you get up to 70mph.

Last summer we took the 500 through France, Italy and Germany and it happily cruised along at 80-90 but of course it did take a little while to get there and when you're there it doesn't have a huge amount of power left in reserve. A 1.4 will of course be better but the economy does then suffer.

Not many faults to look for really :)

sacrifice the extra 10mpg & pay the £100 extra tax & get the 1.4 as the 1.2 ain't a patch on it

(y)

What he said :cool:. But i also agree with everyone else too. The 1.2 is a great everyday engine. If insurance and economy is a priority the 1.2 would be perfect. I went for the 1.4 as i had x2 1.2 punto's before the 500 and just wanted a bit more fun. The insurance was £50 more than the 1.2 for me.

Hi you consider the bydiesel its got the best the best of the lounge & sport spec rolled in to one and it has by far got the best alloy wheels imo.

Yes but you do pay a good deal more for one...... it's also hardly a lounge + a sport.... it's a by Diesel.

yea i know that all im sayin its got all the best parts of both eg the glass roof sport seats spoiler ect plus a lot more interscope stereo special trim unique colours ect
But you can get all those bits cheaper by simply speccing up a sport or a lounge.....

I had a 1.2 before my 1.4 Panda. The 1.2 is fine around town and the few times i did go on the motorway it was also ok. If i were to get a 500 i would def get the 1.2, much better economy .

The 1.4 is a great engine but just makes you drive faster, which effects the economy big time, i never get more than 33 MPG.

I have a 1.2 and im very happy with it, it doesn't feel completely underpowered like i thought it was gonna do, having said that though i took it on the motorway and it will not go above 90mph at all lol (although thats a good thing as anything over 90 is pretty much a ban isn't it). i tried and it would not do it, maybe if i got it on a downhill stretch haha, and i cant really give you my mpg as mines only done 228 miles so im still only getting an average of 36.7mpg

Last edited:
Back