500 500 Abarth Suspension on a 1.2?

Currently reading:
500 500 Abarth Suspension on a 1.2?

Darrell at

I've got the chance of picking up some springs and front shocks but would they fit on the 1.2?

If anyone has done this already, what were the results in handling / ride comfort?

Thanks

they will fit yes, but the Abarth suspension is nothing spectacular, far better off getting some Bilstein B14's. Handles much better and IMHO they're not noticeably less comfy than the standard suspension.

Having had a 1.2 Sport and an Abarth and having driven them back to back, I would say that the Abarth's set up is noticeably better in every way. But perhaps not massively better. It all depends on the cost.

I've not tried any after market options to compare them too though.

I've had three suspension setups so far,

FIAT Factory setup - standard (read mediocre) handling, bouncy ride, poor looks.

Budget coilovers (AP Coilovers) - gave good handling, a harsh ride but nice looks.

Abarth factory setup - less bouncy ride, better handling than standard, a touch lower ride height too.

The jury is out on whether ill try some billstein coil overs (might try and get in the same place as Jason for a ride) but the Abarth setup is markedly better than the FIAT setup.

I've had three suspension setups so far,

FIAT Factory setup - standard (read mediocre) handling, bouncy ride, poor looks.

Budget coilovers (AP Coilovers) - gave good handling, a harsh ride but nice looks.

Abarth factory setup - less bouncy ride, better handling than standard, a touch lower ride height too.

The jury is out on whether ill try some billstein coil overs (might try and get in the same place as Jason for a ride) but the Abarth setup is markedly better than the FIAT setup.
I did a back to back test with my absolutely bog standard 1.2 and Jason's 1.4 on Billies and I really did much prefer the Billies. The damping was far far better, gone was the oscillation on the back end of the car over bumps and I suspect that when pushing the car you'd find the Bilstein's far more comfy and around town the Bilstein's were fine and weren't noticeably less comfy than my car.

Thanks all, I can pick up the Esseesse springs and Abarth front shocks for less than £100 so ill give it a shot. The cars great for what it is but I cover a lot of miles and wanted to sharpen it up without compromising motorway comfort.

they will fit yes, but the Abarth suspension is nothing spectacular, far better off getting some Bilstein B14's. Handles much better and IMHO they're not noticeably less comfy than the standard suspension.
Maxi have you tried the 2010 onwards fiat 500 suspension? I find it much better than the older one.

I've got the chance of picking up some springs and front shocks but would they fit on the 1.2?

If anyone has done this already, what were the results in handling / ride comfort?

Thanks

Given the weight of the 1.2 at 870kgs and the A500 at 1035 kgs IMHO the abarth setup wouldn't suit the 1.2. The MJ weighing in at 970kgs might get away with it. If I was going to fit 'something' how about a set of springs off a 1.4 ( you can get them cheap new' and a set of koni sports on the rear and OEM replacement type Bilsteins on the front.

Fitting abarth front dampers along with 1.2 dampers at the back is a really stupid idea when going along with abarth springs.

Having a look in the bilstein site there are now b6 and b8 damper options available for the 1.2.

Why anyone would go for poor suspension from a car with a different engine is completely beyond me.

B14's aren't expensive for what you get and are such better quality.

Ah yes if paying comes into it then take a little more time to decide. Also by SS springs do you mean the "Brembo variable rate" as they get some rough reviews if they aren't combined with the Koni FSD dampers.

The Bilsteins are great for normal use, much more compliant and far less bouncy than the standard setup. But after 5 years with standard shocks and 30 mm lowering springs, the Bilsteins feel almost too compliant. When you push it hard the same grip and feel come back but in normal use the compliancy makes me feel a little isolated.

And yes I realise that I'm probably the only person on earth who would describe the Bilsteins as 'too compliant'.

:)

You're right, they're not amazingly sporty, but from the short drive in your car there was a big increase in performance but very little if any loss in comfort and the damping is spot on.

You're right, they're not amazingly sporty, but from the short drive in your car there was a big increase in performance but very little if any loss in comfort and the damping is spot on.

I know, I know. But the Elise has spoiled me. It's like playing with a baby Group C car.

I also wonder what your car would feel like with the stiffer rear axle.

Loads of breaking 500's and KA's about, bound to find a later one to take the rear beam out of. Everything else bolts back in the same place.

Actually if you fancy it we can source one and ill knab the stubs,calipers and discs and you can take the beam :)

Actually if you fancy it we can source one and ill knab the stubs,calipers and discs and you can take the beam :)

You're a bad man! I've just got the 500 in tip top form and I'm on a parts collection binge for a suspension refresh on the Elise (think roller bearings and rose jointing goodies instead of bushes).

Let me finish that first then we'll I'll go tinkering with the 500 again :)

Loads of breaking 500's and KA's about, bound to find a later one to take the rear beam out of. Everything else bolts back in the same place.

I think I might go further and go for Panda 4x4 rear suspension.

Thinking about it, the Panda 4x4 rear end should have all the same stuff you're looking for. Would be something for the future for me though :)

Back