Technical 500 1.2 getting stuck in gear

Currently reading:
Technical 500 1.2 getting stuck in gear

We have a 2009 1.2 500 which occasionally gets stuck (mainly) in second gear

It seems to happen mostly at slower speeds but when it gets stuck nothing seems to move it except maybe turning everything off and starting again

the proble is it seems to happen at busy junctions or roundabouts and you don't really have time to assess it as you need to get out of the way

It's happened to me once and i think just rolled along constantly putting the clutch in and out until it freed but it's my mum's car and it's happened to her a few times

This causes sheer panic and now she doesn't want to drive it

I wonder if this is familiar to anyone and what might cause it

Otherwise it's fine. Gear changes are a little notchy but otherwise everything seems fine. Clutch is normal, not particularly high or low

It's done 129000 miles

Symptoms suggest a clutch not releasing properly.
Does the clutch action squeak at all? The hydraulics do fail eventually, usually the slave cylinder, but with them being plastic bodied, it is best to replace both master and slave cylinders together.
At that mileage, the clutch itself could be due replacement, especially if any, or all, owners tend to hold the clutch down at stops, rather than selecting neutral for longer waits.
The gearboxes are quite robust, so as long as it has oil in it, is unlikely to be the problem.

Symptoms suggest a clutch not releasing properly.
Does the clutch action squeak at all? The hydraulics do fail eventually, usually the slave cylinder, but with them being plastic bodied, it is best to replace both master and slave cylinders together.
At that mileage, the clutch itself could be due replacement, especially if any, or all, owners tend to hold the clutch down at stops, rather than selecting neutral for longer waits.
The gearboxes are quite robust, so as long as it has oil in it, is unlikely to be the problem.

It doesn't seem to

I suspect clutch actuation first check the hydraulics replace the fluid and bleed the system .
Does the gear stick move freely with the engine off?

It does yes

It is going into a garage on Tuesday to check the gearbox oil level

I will ask him if he can replace the clutch fluid as well

After that maybe clutch master and slave cylinder

And then possibly clutch

Righto

If replacing the fluid "fixes" the problem it may only do so for a short while if so look at replacing both slave and master-at your age like ours you'll have to replace both as the connector will be stuck together, note the slave is cheap the master surprisingly expensive

Back