Technical 5 speed gearbox

Currently reading:
Technical 5 speed gearbox

irish uno

Burger's sport's car.
Hello everyone,Can you tell me if i can change my 4 speed box to a 5 speed box from another uno and dose a 5 speed box from an early punto fit aswell. I dont do big millage in my uno but when on motorway i dont like pushing it past 60 mph. Was hoping that a 5 speed would help when crusing down motorway and keep rev's down.I have a very clean 1990 uno 45 999cc. Have it 4 and half years and only done 19000 mile in it. Handy for nipping in and out of work and always wanted one. Got it with 39000 mile on it and cant fault it.So easy and fun to work on.What's the chances of getting an anti roll bar from a turbo aswell.This would be nice without having to do anything to suspension.Just tighten her up on corners a bit.

welcome to the forum:) punto box wont fit but might be able to hook you up with an uno one ,as for anti rool bar i will make a call (y)

Hi there - as per the forum rules please keep all items available for sale in the forum classifieds:

https://www.fiatforum.com/classifieds

Also, it's probably not a good idea to post your phone number on a public forum. You're welcome however to contact the original poster by private message (PM) with details of the car and your contact information. I had to edit your post to keep within the forum rules but do feel free to place a free advert in the classifieds :)

Hello everyone,Can you tell me if i can change my 4 speed box to a 5 speed box from another uno and dose a 5 speed box from an early punto fit aswell. I dont do big millage in my uno but when on motorway i dont like pushing it past 60 mph. Was hoping that a 5 speed would help when crusing down motorway and keep rev's down.I have a very clean 1990 uno 45 999cc. Have it 4 and half years and only done 19000 mile in it. Handy for nipping in and out of work and always wanted one. Got it with 39000 mile on it and cant fault it.So easy and fun to work on.What's the chances of getting an anti roll bar from a turbo aswell.This would be nice without having to do anything to suspension.Just tighten her up on corners a bit.

Yes you can change your 4 speed box to a 5 speed. However, you need to ensure you find the correct type of gearbox to swap with as Fiat fitted a few different types over the years. Being a 1990 999cc (mk2?) model I think you have the earlier type of 'box. Any 999cc FIRE engined mk1 gearbox will fit though you will need to find one from a 45S or special edition based on this model as these will have the 5 speed gearbox. Early mk2 FIRE Unos can also have the 5 speed depending on model, though later mk2 FIRE Unos used a different type of gearbox. Though it is possible to fit the later 'box you will need to change over a lot of other parts such as converting the under car rod change linkages to through cabin linkage and also you would need to convert to a hydraulic clutch. Additionally, gearboxes from 1116cc, 1301 and 1372 models will not be suitable as they utilise a different bell-housing that can't be changed easily.

A turbo anti-roll bar will fit onto all non turbo Unos and is a worthwhile addition to handling and keeping it flat in corners. Make sure you get ALL the brackets with it though, in particular the 'L' shaped inner brackets that also hold on the track control arm. You can also find the anti-roll bar on mk2 SX and mk2 diesel models as well as the Turbos. I did a guide for fitting one here if you want to see what's involved:

https://www.fiatforum.com/uno-guides/45105-fitting-turbo-anti-roll-bar-45s.html

Good luck! :)

cheers man will have to email you and exchange numbers.your only down the road in carlow.didnt think i would find any other irish unos on this site.little did i no.

Thank's chas uno you sound like you eat sleep and drink your fiat's.Plenty of info there for me to work with.I take it that the mk 1 in the one with the square headlight's and the mk 2 is the one with the rectangle type headlight's.And the regular type indicator/wiper stalk's????will try put up picture of my uno.

Back