5 or 3 Door?

Currently reading:
5 or 3 Door?

back door or front door?

• Total voters
depends on the car. small cars are usually best with 3, bigger cars (like tipo) 5 doors. though bravo looks better than brava, and the 5 door stilo is :yuck: but for ones where the body style isn't changed other than the number of doors, 5 is usually as good if not better.

2 door cars are best

Last edited:
I think 3dr as a general rule - but when I try and think of some cars that are only available with 4/5 doors, I think that would look hideous as a 3dr - Mondeo being one of them. Just wouldn't look right.

Some cars that do look great as 3drs though are the GP, Alfa Coupe, Astra, 3 Series, etc.

Ive always been more of a fan of 5dr cars, but then thats mainly because both my old corsa and my Punto are/were, also its just easier for taking mates around, no fussing with getting in and out :)

3dr, unless your talking about the latest gen vauxhall arsetra, which looks terrble in sport hatch guise, but nice with subtle mods in 5dr form.

oh, and another 3dr i hate i the bmw compact :) if youre looking around there, get a 5dr

All my cars before current one were 5dr...

I like 3 dr in current car a 5dr Swift looks like arse as it ruins the window line (although over the shoulder visibility is pants in a 3dr) in the punto and uno the differences were so small it made no difference. I do miss being able to let people in the back without the bum shuffle tho.

In summation it's dependent on the car some look better in 5dr some look better 3dr.

I'll go for the 3 doors too.(of course, taking for granded that we're not talking about big cars).Looks much sportier , and the car's body is much more solid too, especially in old cars. I don't think that practicallity is that underestimated in 3 doors either...all you gotta do is fold the front seat , that's not much off a difference!!Especially if the rear leg room is the same in 3 and 5 door models , which usually is about equal.I also love the big front windows , though I hate the rear ones when they can't open normally(like for example in the new 1 series 3 door).The only actual problem I can see in 3 doors is that of the seats interior being more sensitive to destruction , due to the folding.

big front windows , though I hate the rear ones when they can't open normally(like for example in the new 1 series 3 door)

pissing annoying the windows that only open an inch at best. mg has them (n) just open wide enough to get the jump leads through though, but i can let it off, as the only people using the rear seats would be midgets with no legs. also it has a wheel arch in the way preventing it going down. then you also have to mess about with flipping the seats forward....

in defence of 3 doors, central locking isn't needed, leaning across to pull the lock up on a rear passenger door can be difficult in a wide car, but central locking means it's not a problem.

where the body style itself doesn't change the 5 door is usually best but where the body style does change usually 3 door is best but there's always the exception.... (alfa 146 is nicer than 145)

If you want a BMW, get at least a 3 series :)

What about the 1 series coupe??It's beautiful and amazingly balanced!!imagine.....:a 135 with 306 bhp and the eLSD(remember , its RWD) yeeeeeeeeeeeeeehahhhhhhh!!!!!!!:slayer:Reminds me of old m3s...

pissing annoying the windows that only open an inch at best.

Yeah man , and in some cars it gets even worse:in a friend of mine's golf IV , the rear windows just don't open!!!:bang:And I don't mean they're broken or anything.They don't have any opening mechanism...Though this might be kinda good: my rear left window always makes clicking noises when I'm cruising at speeds over 120kph!And I've changed the mech once...(n)

The doors are longer when you have 3 doors vs 5 doors, so it's good for us taller people.

Back