General 4x4 system layout?

Currently reading:
General 4x4 system layout?

hi, could anyone tell me how the 4x4 system works on a panda? is it a transverse engine layout with a transfer box and have they got a centre diff? how much power can the gearbox handle? thanks.

The panda gearbox basicly has a power take-off controled by a dog clutch off of the final drive. There is no transfer box and no centre diff. It is not designed for high speed work but for below 30mph off road. The final drive ratio is also fairly low as befits a working 4x4.

Current wisdom rates the gearbox for appox 100bhp max.

As you plan to fit this in a cinq you would also need to fabricate new gearbox mounts and use different longer (panda) driveshafts as the panda box uses 'wet' inner joints. A look at the current panda 4x4's may give other options?

I did read a long time ago about someone who fitted a viscous coupling from a small AWD Subura (a Justy perhaps). Allowing permanent 4wd at all speeds. Would be good if anyone had info on this or similar. Still a bit stuck with the power though...

yeah box seems to be limiting factor, i'm hoping of dropping a good 150bhp through it and i think it would be fair to say it wouldn't take it for too long. new panda stuff i bet is too much money. still, project for the distant future maybe......

I did read a long time ago about someone who fitted a viscous coupling from a small AWD Subura (a Justy perhaps). Allowing permanent 4wd at all speeds. Would be good if anyone had info on this or similar. Still a bit stuck with the power though...

The early Justy doesn't have a viscous coupling, just the same as the Panda but vacuum operated from a button on top of the gearlever, rather than manual.

Chers

PD

panda_3.jpg

panda_4.jpg

Back