Technical 4x4 in reverse

Currently reading:
Technical 4x4 in reverse

Brettob

I have a 2010 panda 4x4 should the 4wd work when in reverse? As i remember in the snow earlier this year it didn't is this right ? Thanks

In theory, the 4x4 kicks in whenever one of the front wheels spins (I note yours is 2010 model, so uses electronic engagement of 4x4), so yes, it shoudl work in reverse too.

However, if one of the rear wheels is not able to grip (likely on snow/ice), then all the 4x4 system will do is spin the slipping rear wheel. The Cross lets you 'lock' the spinning wheel by pressing the ELD button -- and on other models , inc those with viscous coupling like my 2005 model -- you can simulate this effect by lightly applying the handbrake!

I have a 2008 4x4 so viscous coupling and it most definatley has 4WD in reverse. I reversed out of quite a lot of snow this last winter!

Thanks. Makes sense as i was reversing up a slope on a camber and one wheel would probably been slightly off ground the other wheel wasn't turning at all. Is it the same 4wd system that they use in the new panda 4x4 ?

Back