Technical 40mm TB

Currently reading:
Technical 40mm TB

Tapemonkey

Hi all,

Just fitted my new 40mm Tricker TB yesterday, and after adjusting the butterfly gap all seems good.

I've refitted my GSR induction kit and it seems to be running fine, but has anyone had good results with the K&N kit as I have one of those lying around too?

Cheers all.

OZ Seicento said:
Yes but that doesnt answer the question- whats wrong with the K and N? Why is the gsr better?:bang:

The K+N on the SPi cento's sits on top of the TB and is in the middle of a big hot air area, so unless cold air is provided (from a feed), It'll work worse than the standard airbox (which has a small cold air duct!!).

The GSR kit sits on an long tube and relocates the filter into an area of cold air (by the side of the block and near to the gearbox). Also the length of the tube and volume of air inside it has a positive effect that the K+N doesnt give!!

Ditch the K+N eventually, go for a BMC cone on a tuned pipe or a BMC CDA if you can afford it!

Cheers mate, now I understand.
My sei is an MPI and the K and N has a cold air feed running to it and i love the noise the K and N makes. I fitted the BMC CDA to the barchetta and its a good job but there is no note off it.
Cheers arseofbox

OZ

Yes the BMC CDA is quiet. There is no major difference in noise over the standard airbox and it doesnt sound like my K and N. However it has made a difference in other areas, ie in gear changes its alot smoother.
Hope that helps

OZ

the cda is quiet up to to about 3.5k and then it sounds quite nice but then the sound dies out. its not exactly something to cry about though :p

Rallycinq, I see why would want the cda then how ever since it went into the barchetta it isnt really so efficient, seems to be slightly less efficient at the mo for some reason.

When i fitted a BMC Cda to my sei it was an amazing difference (although i did file down my butterfly at the same time) was std engine wise other than the CDA and keeping pace with more modified cento's on the IoM TT Course :cool:

OZ: could it possibly be that you have a CDA a bit smaller than what you require? as i know they do different sized cda's

Sounds interesting, maybe i will concider changing mine later next year.
No it was ordered from angel tuning off a guy from this website in the barchetta section so it shouldnt be. Was running it on BP ultimate at the time too but changed back to ordinary 98 unleaded as there was no difference with the ultimate
Cheers Ghostwkd

(y) I am looking forward to hearing the Novitec Carbon Airbox with Novitec filter on my Seicento Abarth (currently donna's, but not for long) :D I know it wont be of a massive difference due to the air flow hole on the original back section is still only 30mm but hoping with the Novitec Performance chip and the full Novitec Duplex exhaust makes a nice difference over a standard setup!

And OZ, there has been much debate on the 40mm and what to use it with, some say the GSR restricts the maximum air flow the 40mm has to offer and others say it doesnt. Tricker himself has said, from word of mouth, that the K&N and that includes any open breather induction kits gave better performance figures than the GSR did on the 40mm Tb, all this could be argued, but I had a K&N on my 40mm and the difference (y) (y) spot on!

People could argue all day long about the GSR and the K&N Style kits but I would say that the difference is minimal on a 54 BHP standard engine, although the GSR offers torque increases over the K&N but wouldnt be as effective at top speed and not forgetting the GSR was developed on a 30mm Tb....

Regards

Adam

The K&N doesnt give a noticable increase because it provides little or no torque increase. the torque comes from the tubing that the ait filter is connected to. bolting a filter right onto the top of the Throttle body takes away any flow from the induction and so could quite possibly reduce torque over the standard filter, although the standard filter doesnt really work as a tube would so its probably about the same.

The K&N probably would produce slightly more Horse power BUT unless you drive around at 5000rpm all day then you wont notice it. and if you do drive around at 5000rpm all day then i suggest you dont as your head gasket wont see the end of 2005 :rolleyes:

the advantage of the GSR is that it does inhale colder more dense air from beside the engine rather than the hot air that gathers at the top of the engine bay (hot air rises remember). Also because of the tubing, it creates more torque which will improve the pulling power in the lower/mid rev range and so you will notice a difference in day to day driving, not just doing 90 up the M1 for example.

The longer the tubing on an induction kit, the more torque you will unlock. obviously there will be a limit to how effective this is. If you have a nice long tube that starts off wide at the filter and then reduces in diameter towards the TB it will give you major (well, for a cento anyway) increases in torque and probably a nice increase in hp too. this allows the throttle body to suck in large ammounts of air at the filter which is then accelerated into the engine by the reduction of the diameter in the pipe towards the throttle body. larger diameter followed by smaller diameter = faster air flow.

The induction piping also needs to have smooth curners, no sharp right angle bends. smooth ones are fine, just make sure the tubing turn is curved rather than a dead right angle.. this will disrupt the airflow and although will still probably give you an increase in torque and hp, it wont be as good as it could be.

so basicly, unless your going to go fully custom and have a think about getting it made (bolting some samco hoses together doesnt work as the joiners disrupt airflow) then i suggest the GSR. it doesnt matter if it was engineered for the 30mm TB, it will still give a much better performance over the standard filter, and definatly over the K&N.

It might not sound as nice over the K&N but who cares, all sound and no go is typical chav nature anyway :rolleyes:. youve got a 1.1, make it faster, not sound nicer. thats what the exhaust is for (y)

as for the 40mm TB. it should work fine with the GSR. the tubing DOES drop bellow 40mm in one place (the accelerated part just before the TB) as this needs to fit onto the Fiat bob that sits on the TB. isnt only 1 or 2mm out so you really wont notice any difference. and if your that bothered, you can file out the bob that extra few mm.

GSR all the way because its good. and yes, 40mm TB great.

Cheers Bushboy and eviljaxx, that makes it alot clearer.
At the mo im still running the standard TBs on my mpi sei. Ive new spark leads and plugs waiting to go in and its booked in for a powerflow exhaust just after xmas so hopefully that will help a little too.
I noticed that neither of you mentioned the BMC there, is there a reason for that? Because it has a tube running to the TBs rather than just being bolted on.
Cheers guys

OZ

OZ Seicento said:
Cheers Bushboy and eviljaxx, that makes it alot clearer.
At the mo im still running the standard TBs on my mpi sei. Ive new spark leads and plugs waiting to go in and its booked in for a powerflow exhaust just after xmas so hopefully that will help a little too.
I noticed that neither of you mentioned the BMC there, is there a reason for that? Because it has a tube running to the TBs rather than just being bolted on.
Cheers guys

OZ

just to burst your bubble, i dont think tricker does the 40mmTB for the MPI as of yet, better ask him tho.

IMO the CDA is better than the gsr kit again, as it has all the benefits of the normal gsr kit, but also has a protective cover, protecting it from the heat of the engine, and a pipe running to the front bumper which will collect more cold air when compared to the normal GSR f1i kit, and of course cold air is denser and better for gettin the most from an engine! im plannin on upgrading to a CDA some time next year (y)

Back