Technical 2nd Gear

Currently reading:
Technical 2nd Gear

The Street End

Alright everyone, just wondering if Im alone with my latest GP problem or if there are any of you that have experienced the same?

Ive got a 1.2 Active, 56 plate and had it just over a year from new, sometimes (not all the time) when Im in 2nd gear the car just runs away with itself, it actually picks up speed and accelarates without me touching anything, even pressing the brakes doesnt stop the car, I have to press the clutch in (to disengage the gear) then press the brake

its more prevailent going downhill, Ive noticed because Ive recently started parking in a multi story car park for work and getting the car out of a evening can be a bit tricky with this fault, I can see myself ramming it into a wall one day soon

Id go back to the fiat dealer but in all honesty they are appauling judging by the 'service' Ive had from them so far (n)

anyone know why this fault is oocuring? is it a know fault? anyone experienced the same issue?

Hey m8, my car does this too, tho its when im goin really slow and the car is approachin tick over revs nd it jst speeds itself up abit
Dunno if its a prob :confused: bt ur not alone

Mine does this too (though its not a manual), and is usually uphill as I'm just about to stop completely.

I noticed with my 1.3M-Jet that the tickover speed was slightly higher when the car was rolling than when it was stationary. You can observe this when coasting either with the clutch pedal depressed or in neutral (bad habit!). I think this is done deliberately to reduce the chance of stalling.

If you try letting the clutch out with insufficient revs, slowing the engine below its normal tickover speed, I think you will observe other anti-stall measures cutting in to increase fuel supply to the engine.

I can't say I have witnessed this, but I would expect the engine to adopt the slightly faster "rolling tickover speed" when it is in gear and moving. Maybe this is what you have observed? Have you noticed this occuring in other gears? Has anyone else noticed the above?

Cheers for the replies, glad to hear its not just me!

I didnt know the GP had any anti-stall measures? I thought stuff like that was the domain of F1 cars, ha ha

I have noticed in general that the idle is higher than other cars Ive had, its defo higher than in the Focus I last had (I actual prefer the idle in the GP to the Focus)

I just think its a bit dangerous, I basically had to take evasive action coming out of the car park the other night because it was going to quick for the turn/ramp and the brakes wouldnt slow me succfiently

Its not to bad for me personally because Ive been driving for years and know how to handle it, but my hearts in my mouth today because Im off work and my girlfriend has taken the car and she generally doesnt do much driving

the engine definately isnt chugging when it happens, it really does just run off with itself

Im not entirely sure off the top of my head, Ill start keeping tabs on it from now on, Ill post the speed/revs on here next time it happens

I find my GP likes to go no slower than about 9-10mph in 2nd. Any slower and it will speed up to tick over revs (faster when cold). Every car I've ever driven does that - some more than others (diesels tend to do it more due to the extra torque at low revs).

As I have a petrol model too I will tell you how mine acts. Mine will creep along upto 3rd in traffic on tickover, as the revs are raised slightly until you stop completely, watch the rev counter next time you pull up...

in 2nd though, it will pull up to say 10mph, if you brake it will chugg a tiny bit as the engine will try to keep running, perfectly normal and much worse when the engine is cold, I get all the way to the end of the drive up to 4th gear without touching the gas from a cold start.

But if the car accelerates violently on its own thats another issue altogether.

Last edited:
Normal....find a empty back rad & without touching the throttle (bit of clutch control) you can get up to 5th gear;)

p.s. I need to get out more
Lol, its ok. Surely that cant do the car any good.

the reason it pulls forward in 2nd gear is due to the gear ratios being quite short and revvy, it is a slight anti-stall system fitted that causes it to rev a bit more and keep the engine running.
also, you're going down a hill so the engine will pick up revs even without any power.

hope it helps, only been able to drive mine round car parks atm, still 16!

I noticed this in my old laguna, going uphil + over a speed bump in 2nd at about 5mph, and the car just went on it's own.

Put it down to torque at the time, as when I was driving the instructors 207 HDI, the car would actually accelerate at junctions if you were still engaged just before stopping.

Last edited:
Now imagine it with a bit dirty derv at the front :D

its just the engine stopping its self from stalling,

Back