Technical 20v misfire :s

Currently reading:
Technical 20v misfire :s

MickeyBravo

Daily Drive 5dr 1.8 Focus
for some reason,last time i used my car it was fine.went to use it yesterday and it popped and misfired (Bear in mind my gasket has gone and 1 plug gets caked in oil) instant thought was a spark plug fault.
I took um all out and cleaned um (3rd from left was caked in oil) BUT the first from the left had bits of plastic inside the tube that had come off the plug :confused: i tried to get it all out with long pliers.Once all cleaned,put them all back and it still misfired. So i left it running,unplugged each plug 1 by 1 and it went to stall apart from that first one,it didnt make any difference :confused: is that down to the plug?

yeah bit lucky really,ive got my old cam cover and all 5 coilpacks.im gona get 1 spark tomorrow and see how i get on.If its fine then im gona buy another 4 :) i gave it an oil and filter change other month and i should have really changed the plugs too whilst i was at it.:eek:

Right,took off that coil from the first plug and swapped it for a spare that I've got,plugged it in fired it up and no difference,unplugged it when running and same :/
I tested the wires inside the plug and I do have 1236v (14v?) running thru it so I know it's not the loom at fault.
I'm hoping it's the spark plug at fault now :/

was this at fault :
14112011383.jpg

god knows how that ended up like that.i thought the rubber tubing sat over the plug anyway so should make no difference to the plug?
But anyhow,was that plug at fault.3.99 for an NGK one.so got another 4 :)

Last edited:
ahh i see, that spark plug looked abit shagged :p i remember my number 4 spark plugs thread started to go on it, even the little bits can make a bigger fault than it should, even though all my leads were fine, because it wasnt secure enough, it used to misfire now and then..
well atleast it was a cheap replacement, cause on the 5 cylinder models you a those seperate coils for each cylinder, rather than leads, as i know for set they're more than a new set of leads :)

yup.was hoping it was just down to a spark plug.9/10 mis fires are plugs or leads. Still strange how the plug ended up crackin in half lol Theyve never been out,but suppose you could tell that by how black the the end was lol

Back