2023 Mongol Rally, solo with 2013 Panda Pop.

Currently reading:
2023 Mongol Rally, solo with 2013 Panda Pop.

Yennenga

Hi Fiat afficionados - I joined so I can (gently) pick your brains and (hopefully) get some advice in the run-up and prep for the Mongol Rally 2023.

I tell myself it's just like driving to the local shop one mile away, but only ten thousand times in a row. What can go wrong?!

I bought a Panda Pop because:

(1) It was available when I had the cash --- (2) in my budget --- (3) Euro 4 compliant as I have to use it as my every day car as well (4) I love Fiat

I wanted a 4x4 but could not afford the newer ones or find a good enough old one. I had £3k budget and got a Pop with 60k miles.

In the next year I would like to get as self- sufficient as possible so I can fix break downs next to the road by myself. I have done a similar trip before on my own, but on an old motorbike that I learnt to take apart and rebuild. I did plenty of bush repairs and survived. :)

(Any parents on here? Please give your girls Mechano rather than Barbies to play with. She will thank you later. Trust me.)

Im worried about all the electronics. Already I have a warning light on due to some headlight computer thing... Just going to ignore it for now.

Anyways. Here I am and will have many questions. Run for the hills.

Well good on you. It could be a good choice of car. The Panda did a London to Capetown run a few years back and held the record for a short while. That car was modified to cope with the bumpy roads. You might want to try and get in touch with the people who did that run and see what the most essential things to do tp prepare migh be based on their experience.

I am sure if you ask specific qquestions on here you will get plenty of interest and support. WHat dates does the rally run and what is the route? In my sad state.... I will probably look up and google earth the entire route.

How are you set for tools and equipment, may be some of the old souls on here could assist with some surplus things as may of us are hoarders and have spares, Good thing about Pandas and Fiats in general is you can get away with less tools than on more fancy cars.

I wish you well in your quest. I am sure it will be the trip of a lifetime.

Well good on you. It could be a good choice of car. The Panda did a London to Capetown run a few years back and held the record for a short while. That car was modified to cope with the bumpy roads. You might want to try and get in touch with the people who did that run and see what the most essential things to do tp prepare migh be based on their experience.

I am sure if you ask specific qquestions on here you will get plenty of interest and support. WHat dates does the rally run and what is the route? In my sad state.... I will probably look up and google earth the entire route.

How are you set for tools and equipment, may be some of the old souls on here could assist with some surplus things as may of us are hoarders and have spares, Good thing about Pandas and Fiats in general is you can get away with less tools than on more fancy cars.

I wish you well in your quest. I am sure it will be the trip of a lifetime.

Hi Panda Nut! Thank you for the well wishes.

Well, I vowed that if the Rally is scuppered yet again due to wars/famine/plague that I would do a London to Cape Town instead.

The Rally is set for 2023 Jul 15 to 2023 Sep 12. You can choose any route you wish - as long as you end up past the finish line in Ulaan Batur before the end date.

I am just starting to prep - so nothing in the line of equipment (except what I have for my motorbike mechanics) yet. I will definitely be seeking advice on here.

Back