Technical 2023 Ducatointermittent limp mode

Currently reading:
Technical 2023 Ducatointermittent limp mode

rob west

Hi I’m new to the forum. My issue is my 2023 Jayco Motorhome 25-3 has three times gone into limp mode. There have been no warning lights all temps etc are normal and there are no adblue warning lights or range indicators displayed.
Booked into two separate fiat professional dealers . Both could not see any code issues.
Second one advised it’s due to the size and weight of the Motorhome and a new algorithm is required. In the meantime I should make sure the adblue is as full possible.
500kms later van goes into limp mode half way up a two kilometre hill and maximum speed drops to 10kms. At the top of the hill I put in 5litres of adblue. Dial shows full. Still no change won’t access any gear higher than 5th and limos along maxing out at 80kph on the flat and 25th on hills.
Finally limp to a garage with an adblue pump. Put in 2 litres to bring it to full again and this time the MH operates normally.
At no point did a warning or adblue level display on the dash so I’m thinking the algorithm thing is a bit misleading and not the root cause.
Anyone else experience the same?
Other useful information each of the three occurrences happened on warm afternoons greater than 33 degrees Celsius and when the MH started behaving again the last time the temp had dropped to 29degrees.
Help would be very much appreciated. Dribbling along highways at 25kph being overtaken by big doubles is truly frightening

Hi Rob
I have a earlier model ducato campervan that did the same on its first trip over weekend (bought Melbourne and live in Sydney). The first few times it happened i stopped for half an hour to let it cool down as thought it could be transmission overheating as it happened again 1-2 hours later.
What i have found so far (experimenting on 1100km drive) and waiting to get it booked in:
- put it in manual & changed gears and it worked fine when auto wouldn't (you can let it change down itself at lights)
- change gears as little as possible
- I googled that restarting the engine takes it out of limp mode after first few times when i knew there were no temp warnings I just pulled over shut it down and started it again and it ran all the way home which was about 260km (didn't want to stop just in case) so the adblue may just be that you restarted it as i did not add any with above.

I joined this site to try and get an answer and will keep you posted if i get any answers.

ps I do know my hazard lights work well

If anyone out there has any ideas what is happening to me is:
- turn key to MAC and the display goes blank (display works when put key in and on accessories i.e. either side of MAC) so i get no plug info
- continue to turn on and won't start
- turn off and then turn to start and it starts
- going into limp mode (per above) in auto mode

Last edited:
Hi Rob
I have a earlier model ducato campervan that did the same on its first trip over weekend (bought Melbourne and live in Sydney). The first few times it happened i stopped for half an hour to let it cool down as thought it could be transmission overheating as it happened again 1-2 hours later.
What i have found so far (experimenting on 1100km drive) and waiting to get it booked in:
- put it in manual & changed gears and it worked fine when auto wouldn't (you can let it change down itself at lights)
- change gears as little as possible
- I googled that restarting the engine takes it out of limp mode after first few times when i knew there were no temp warnings I just pulled over shut it down and started it again and it ran all the way home which was about 260km (didn't want to stop just in case) so the adblue may just be that you restarted it as i did not add any with above.

I joined this site to try and get an answer and will keep you posted if i get any answers.

ps I do know my hazard lights work well

If anyone out there has any ideas what is happening to me is:
- turn key to MAC and the display goes blank (display works when put key in and on accessories i.e. either side of MAC) so i get no plug info
- continue to turn on and won't start
- turn off and then turn to start and it starts
- going into limp mode (per above) in auto mode
Hi jostle.
I’m thinking it’s gearbox temp as well. The van is new so it’s still under warranty. It’s been escalated to Fiat technical who are working on it as we speak. I’ll let you know what they come back with.

Back