Technical 2017 Fiat Ducato multijet EGR error code

Currently reading:
Technical 2017 Fiat Ducato multijet EGR error code

MerlinPoly

Hi All,
Our Ducato has come up with EGR valve error
We have replaced both valves, (the one at the front of the engine, and the one at rear)
The van drives for about 15 minutes, then goes into limp. When we check with the code reader it still shows EGR valve fault.
What else could it be? Any idea's greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Steve

Hi

The valve at the front is the Throttle valve. It helps with the EGR process, so some people refer to it as the EGR valve, which causes confusion.

The valve at the back is the EGR valve proper. It regulates the flow of gas from the exhaust system back into the air intake circuit. This valve is vacuum controlled, I don't think it has any electronic or electrical parts, but newer versions might. The variable vacuum which controls it comes via a thin hose from the small Solenoid valve, which is centrally mounted high up in the engine bay, just under the windscreen scuttle. The Solenoid valve is electronically controlled by the engine management. It is capable of giving an error code. If you haven't already, I suggest you check this valve and its electrical connections and associated vacuum pipework. Loose or split hoses aren't unknown. These valves are not expensive and are easy to access.

Hi Anthony,
It's electronic on this one.
I did check all the hoses and pipes, and yes found a crack in the large plastic pipe from the intercooler.
Removed it, glued it, applied duck tape, and it works.
So have ordered a new pipe from Fiat, its made up of 2 rubber hoses and the plastic centre. It had cracked where the fixing bracket sticks out of the side.
Just seemed risky to rely on glue & duck tape.
Many thanks,
Steve

Yes, a decent leak of intake measured air will throw a code which can be wrongly shown as egr fault. Its all a matter of measured air flow percentages. That is a pressurised hose and duct tape won't last long. New hose imperative.
Ian

Hi All,

Replaced the pipe after 2 days, van runs a dream.
The glue seemed to hold, but not worth the risk long term.
I attach 2 pictures of the offending pipe.

IMG_20200208_1529003.jpg

IMG_20200208_1529202.jpg

Thanks,
Steve

That is very early in life to split a hose. Only 2-3 years. Usually last much longer than that. My 2013 hoses are still perfect. I have a 2003 Benz turbo diesel that still has original hoses. Have you looked to see why it has split?

Ian.

Hi Anthony,
It's electronic on this one.
I did check all the hoses and pipes, and yes found a crack in the large plastic pipe from the intercooler.
Removed it, glued it, applied duck tape, and it works.
So have ordered a new pipe from Fiat, its made up of 2 rubber hoses and the plastic centre. It had cracked where the fixing bracket sticks out of the side.
Just seemed risky to rely on glue & duck tape.
Many thanks,
Steve
MerlinPoly
I have similar problem with my 2012 3.0 Maxi which has been parked up for 12 months.
Is there any way you can describe where the intercooler is located, and where the pipe goes to from there?
Thanks

MerlinPoly
I have similar problem with my 2012 3.0 Maxi which has been parked up for 12 months.
Is there any way you can describe where the intercooler is located, and where the pipe goes to from there?
Thanks
Intercooler is the large radiator that sits in front of your normal coolant radiator. A large hose will go in one end and a large one out the other. Inlet is from the aircleaner/maf and outlet goes to turbo inlet.

Thank you, oigle. I'll check that out in the morning for any splits, holes, etc.

I have an error code "P02402-61...Air tracking control system - Signal Calculation Failure"
Would you have any idea what that would be all about?

The motorhome has been parked up for 12 months and I have just returned from o/seas. I noticed some recent--its obviously recent given the minimal evidence--and considering mouse damage as a factor for the DTC's.

The other code was "19,51,00,30 - Please refer to manual" which even the workshop manager at a Fiat dealership in Brisbane didn't know anything about when I called him.

Funny you should mention the air filter housing, rayc
I had the Ducato serviced last week and that's where there was some evidence of mice, with the centre of the filter chewed out. It was replaced but the mouse wasn't dispatched until several days later.
So why di you ask about the air filter housing? Is that somehow connected to the "air tracking control system" too?

Funny you should mention the air filter housing, rayc
I had the Ducato serviced last week and that's where there was some evidence of mice, with the centre of the filter chewed out. It was replaced but the mouse wasn't dispatched until several days later.
So why di you ask about the air filter housing? Is that somehow connected to the "air tracking control system" too?

Because a friend of mine had a similar problem. The filter was replaced but bits of the old filter had fallen down into the outlet. It may be worth removing the filter housing completely and checking the outlet hose which goes to the MAF

OK. Thanks for the heads, rayc. I appreciate it.
I'll check it out today, but given the mice problem that had emerged, chances are that there might be some filter debris further down into the system.

Hi Gypsy Jack,
The pipe we replaced is on the right hand side of the engine bay, with flexible each end and a plstic rigid section in the centre.
The rigid plastic had cracked where the bracket comes and so it can be bolted in place.
Any hoses that leak can cause the EGR faults to come up.

If it's a mouse attack, then anything is possible, as they can nibble through just about anything in the way.
Air filter boxes in engine bays are relatively warm places when a vehicle is stood, compared to freezing conditions outside the vehicle.
It's not uncommon for them to nest in the filter housings.
Goodluck with it.
Best regards,
Steve

@MerlinPoly Has changing that pipe cured the problem long term? I can see a little brown dust witness by my bracket. Ive the same egr problem with codes P0236 P0238 and P0401

Intercooler is the large radiator that sits in front of your normal coolant radiator. A large hose will go in one end and a large one out the other. Inlet is from the aircleaner/maf and outlet goes to turbo inlet.
In the interest of technical accuracy, the above is not correct. The intercooler is in the engine airflow, between the turbo outlet, and the inlet manifold. The pupose of the intercooler is to cool, and hence increase the density of the air which has been heated by adiabatic compression (bicycle pump effect) in the turbocharger.

Oops. Correct. As above.... One should re-read one's posts occasionally :-(

Back