Technical 2016 spare tire retrofit?

Currently reading:
Technical 2016 spare tire retrofit?

Doppietta

A relative's 2016 500 just got a flat (gash in the sidewall too big for the inflator) and I was surprised to see that it didn't have a spare or even a jack. Looking at the empty spot under the trunk, I can see the bolt holes to attach a spare carrier, but there's a box that I am assuming is part of the emissions controls that might interfere with it. Has anyone installed a spare carrier on their 500? If so, was it a drop-in or did you have to move anything to make room?
Thanks!

A relative's 2016 500 just got a flat (gash in the sidewall too big for the inflator) and I was surprised to see that it didn't have a spare or even a jack. Looking at the empty spot under the trunk, I can see the bolt holes to attach a spare carrier, but there's a box that I am assuming is part of the emissions controls that might interfere with it. Has anyone installed a spare carrier on their 500? If so, was it a drop-in or did you have to move anything to make room?
Thanks!
The spare tire kit is available from Mopar. It mounts under the car and uses a crank to access it.

Thanks. Did you install it on your car?

I'd found the backordered Mopar kit, but the installation instructions show it being installed in a completely empty space under the trunk. The box that looks like it's in the way on my relatives' car isn't present in the documentation, which makes me suspicious. :unsure:

I'll try to get a good photo of the underside of their car since I'm having a hard time describing it. And drop-in was a poor choice of words! 😅 I understand that it attaches from the bottom. My question is if installation is simple or if other things need to be moved or removed.

Back