Technical 2016 Fiat 500x Easy: New Battery Installation and Troubleshooting

Currently reading:
Technical 2016 Fiat 500x Easy: New Battery Installation and Troubleshooting

daugaard47

Summary of Issue:

After installing a new battery in my 2016 Fiat 500x Easy, the car initially wouldn't start, producing just a single click from the engine. About 6 hours later, it started, but with a 'Check Engine' light and a 'Drive Mode Unavailable' message. Despite these warnings, the car operated normally. I noticed the car was low on fuel, filled it up, and found that the warnings disappeared afterward. Since I turned off and on multiple time. The car have shown no issues since.

Steps Taken:
  1. Installed a new battery in my 2016 Fiat 500x Easy
  2. Attempted to start the car, but only heard a single click from the engine
  3. After several unsuccessful attempts to start, I left the car alone for about 6 hours
  4. Tried again to start the car, this time it started, but with a 'Check Engine' light and 'Drive Mode Unavailable' message
  5. Drove the car around the block a few times and tried starting it again - it started with the same warnings
  6. Noticed the fuel gauge was low (2 bars left), so I refueled the car
  7. After refueling, both the 'Check Engine' light and 'Drive Mode Unavailable' message disappeared, and all drive modes were available
  8. Tested the car by turning it on and off a few more times with no issues

ChatGPT 4: Answer to what happened:

Based on the information you've provided, there could be several reasons that might explain the issues you encountered. It's important to remember that diagnosing car issues remotely is difficult and the following are only potential explanations.

1. Battery Connection: When you replaced your battery, there might have been some initial issue with the battery connections. Loose or corroded connections can cause problems like you described. After driving around, vibrations could have improved the connection which fixed the problem.
  2. Electrical System Reset: Sometimes, when the battery is disconnected and then reconnected, the car's electrical systems need to reset. This might explain why the car didn't start immediately but then later started. The computer systems could have needed some time to recalibrate.
  3. Low Fuel Level: Some cars may trigger a check engine light or other warning messages if the fuel level is too low. When you filled up the gas tank, this could have resolved the issue.
  4. ECU Errors: Modern vehicles are controlled by an Engine Control Unit (ECU), which is a type of computer. Occasionally, the ECU might experience errors, which can trigger various warnings and even impact vehicle performance. Sometimes, these errors resolve themselves after the car is turned off and on again multiple times, as the ECU reboots and resets.
If these issues persist or if the check engine light comes on again, it would be best to take your vehicle to a mechanic. They can use a diagnostic tool to read the error codes from your car's computer, which should help pinpoint the exact cause of the problem.

Still trying to understand the root cause of the initial issues. Any insights would be appreciated.

Back