Doblo 2015 Doblo 1.3 Type 263 Starts Perfectly but Cuts Out after a Few Seconds - Potential Quick Fix

Currently reading:
Doblo 2015 Doblo 1.3 Type 263 Starts Perfectly but Cuts Out after a Few Seconds - Potential Quick Fix

Magnetron

Hello All,

Many thanks for the excellent forum. I’m not exactly a newbie but this is my first post and I hope you find it as helpful as some of the things I’ve read on here.

My van went through the start sequence just fine but cut out two or three seconds later, quite roughly. Luckily I had my laptop and read code: P0488-72 ‘EGR Valve Pos’.

After some head scratching, I pulled the vacuum hose off the EGR (EGR is situated at the front of the engine offside to the exhaust/turbo cluster) and the engine ran smoothly but very little power as you would expect, fault light on, but fully drivable and got me home - even got to a heady 65mph on the motorway.

EGR’s look quite fiddly to replace on this engine so I thought I’d try to finely adjust out any minor deficiencies in the valve position with a hammer and 3/8th drive extension as a bolster. I had nothing to lose. There’s a rubber bellows which house what looks like the valve shaft which, on the top of the throw, sits against an adjustable limit stop. This is the part I was aiming for with my newly appointed bolster and gave it a thump or two, hard, but not hard enough to pierce the rubber bellows In case my hair-brained scheme based on pure conjecture and no hard knowledge, actually worked. I have no idea of the internal layout of the EGR.

Upon reconnecting the vacuum hose and starting the engine, it ran fine but I still had to clear the light/code via the laptop. The fault has not reoccurred in the last five weeks and 1500 miles of regular driving (and it was driven every day leading up to the fault) so fingers crossed this archaic method of bush style mechanics has solved my problem, at least for a while.

Here are a couple of things to note:

- I use a programme called MultieScan on my laptop which was supplied with the correct lead for around £70 on eBay if I remember rightly. I can’t rate it highly enough.

- I googled a local ‘Call Out’ garage who quoted around £240 to supply and replace the EGR, which I thought was very good considering what an unforgiving job it is. They would also supply a warranty which is peace of mind compared to fitting it myself.

- I have attached a photo showing the EGR bellows.

E2F040F6-8A71-4653-8703-B686824DEC59.jpeg

Hello All,

Many thanks for the excellent forum. I’m not exactly a newbie but this is my first post and I hope you find it as helpful as some of the things I’ve read on here.

My van went through the start sequence just fine but cut out two or three seconds later, quite roughly. Luckily I had my laptop and read code: P0488-72 ‘EGR Valve Pos’.

After some head scratching, I pulled the vacuum hose off the EGR (EGR is situated at the front of the engine offside to the exhaust/turbo cluster) and the engine ran smoothly but very little power as you would expect, fault light on, but fully drivable and got me home - even got to a heady 65mph on the motorway.

EGR’s look quite fiddly to replace on this engine so I thought I’d try to finely adjust out any minor deficiencies in the valve position with a hammer and 3/8th drive extension as a bolster. I had nothing to lose. There’s a rubber bellows which house what looks like the valve shaft which, on the top of the throw, sits against an adjustable limit stop. This is the part I was aiming for with my newly appointed bolster and gave it a thump or two, hard, but not hard enough to pierce the rubber bellows In case my hair-brained scheme based on pure conjecture and no hard knowledge, actually worked. I have no idea of the internal layout of the EGR.

Upon reconnecting the vacuum hose and starting the engine, it ran fine but I still had to clear the light/code via the laptop. The fault has not reoccurred in the last five weeks and 1500 miles of regular driving (and it was driven every day leading up to the fault) so fingers crossed this archaic method of bush style mechanics has solved my problem, at least for a while.

Here are a couple of things to note:

- I use a programme called MultieScan on my laptop which was supplied with the correct lead for around £70 on eBay if I remember rightly. I can’t rate it highly enough.

- I googled a local ‘Call Out’ garage who quoted around £240 to supply and replace the EGR, which I thought was very good considering what an unforgiving job it is. They would also supply a warranty which is peace of mind compared to fitting it myself.

- I have attached a photo showing the EGR bellows.

View attachment 415285
Any chance of an photo slightly wider angle? Just so i can pinpoint where the egr is exactly. I'm finding it quite difficult to be sure of the location on my 2018 Doblo 1.3 Multijet II 95. Thanks.

Hi Farjoh,

No problem at all, please see the attached photos.

As an update, I’ve had no further problems and the Doblo is running very well 😊

Attachments

• F948C397-9831-4F42-AC8B-0ED1CAAFD8A4.jpeg
    F948C397-9831-4F42-AC8B-0ED1CAAFD8A4.jpeg
    4.1 MB · Views: 43
  • FD1C76D4-C5A9-4C51-B347-2C94A365AAB3.jpeg
    FD1C76D4-C5A9-4C51-B347-2C94A365AAB3.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 50
Back