Technical 2013 1.2 500 - brakes have too much servo assistance

Currently reading:
Technical 2013 1.2 500 - brakes have too much servo assistance

It's not the check valve, it's the servo. The check valve rarely fails and if gives another mistake. It really is the servo at fault. Removing the check valve makes your car operative but there will be no assistance to braking, so be careful if you bring your car home this way.

Thanks, don't worry we are not driving the car with the check valve removed. Once I removed it and released all the pressure I put it straight back in and the car made it home with normal brakes again.

I was going for the check valve first because it's a lot easier to try. I've sprayed WD40 into the opening just in case it's sticking and I'll try it tomorrow. I have seen mixed information on the internet about these check valves, one place said they are responsible for releasing the built-up pressure after the brake pedal is released and to me that sounds like a sticking valve could allow too much pressure, therefore too much servo assistance. But you think this operation is inside the servo, looking at your last two responses?

We have had the car back from the garage for about a week now having had the brake servo replaced. Brakes are now working well and not getting locked on. Obviously given how sporadic the issue initially was I will be monitoring it for quite some time yet but so far, so good. If anyone is interested, this is the servo I bought and supplied to the garage to install :

https://www.autodoc.co.uk/trw/862078

Thank you to all who assisted with this, hopefully I won't be adding to the thread!

Grip each rubber brake hose while someone applies the brakes. You should feel a pulse but an obvious expansion of the hose needs new hoses. It's also possible for the hose lining to separate using all sorts of strange effects.

I had soggy pedal issue on my Panda 100HP so decided to fit HEL braided hoses. They initially felt over-sensitive but (having had motorbikes) knew what to expect. I much prefer the braking and costs were reasonable. At the back, I have one long hose (each side from the under-body flare nut connector right to the brake. Each one deletes two hoses and a length of steel tube. The fronts are direct replacements of the old rubbers.

WIfe's 1.2-60 Panda had new rubber hoses because she didn't like the 100HP brakes. Her's were much less soggy with new rubber hoses.
Ive just done our hoses and the pedal feels much better for this. Car is 2011.

Braided hoses retain pressure without flexing thus increasing the pedal feel! as they are one piece and consistent along there whole length this eliminates the joints between metal/rubber components a potential source of failure! providing great piece of mind! well worth the investment if you can afford it!

Braided hoses retain pressure without flexing thus increasing the pedal feel! as they are one piece and consistent along there whole length this eliminates the joints between metal/rubber components a potential source of failure! providing great piece of mind! well worth the investment if you can afford it!
Downside of braided hoses is any wear is unseen. It is a simple plastic pipe, with steel braiding outside to give it some protection. It is therefore difficult to ses any deterioration of the inner pipe. If they flex a lot, with suspension and steering movements, they can abrade themselves.
I used them on a motorcycle years ago, after converting to twin discs, so no OE hoses available. They look lovely, but still need care.
Rubber hoses are multi-layer, so offer some protection against sudden failure, and exterior deterioration is easier to spot. I'm sticking with the rubber ones.

Dont disagree with ya! my experience of braided hose also comes from the bike world( have them fitted to most of my current bikes!) from as far back as the 80,s.
your right about the construction! but have to say have never had one fail on me! thats bike related of course and fully accept than in a car application the forces/movements are different!, truth is in my post i only said i was concerned about the joints between the metal and rubber components not the actual rubber hose and agree that they make it easy to spot deterioration but thats usually perishing of the rubber outer which of course braided dont suffer from!.
I also prefer the slightly more compliant "feel" or the rubber ones againts the more "wooden" feel of braided!- yer pays yer money! etc etc.

Last edited:
It's very unlikely you'd notice the difference on the average car with braided hoses.

Last edited:
Back