General 2012 New Panda - all comments here please :)

Currently reading:
General 2012 New Panda - all comments here please :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Anyone been playing on the 2012 Panda Configurator?

Why would the very slightly bigger, slightly heavier, slightly slower, slightly less economical new Panda appeal to a much wider group of potential customers than the outgoing one?

I appreciate what you're saying here, but what I meant by that is that the new design will (IMO) attract a wider range of customers because of its refreshed appearance.

The current design has done a great job for nearly nine years, and bearing in mind the majority of my car is essentially a Panda, I have a lot of respect for it. However I do think that people who were toying over the idea of getting a 500 may well look at the new Panda now as they are much more closer together in terms of their appearance.

Whether that translates into sales remains to be seen of course.

50 quid for a height adjustable drivers seat! Even mk1 Puntos had them as standard. Extra for side air bags.

That I don't understand. Maybe the configurator is wrong. How did it gain it's NCAP score when side airbags are optional on all models?

FWIW the Chevy Spark I bought gets all six airbags, split fold rear seat with head restraints and Isofix and a height adjustable drivers seat. Even the base model that comes without a radio has all that stuff.

Mine with AC & electric windows + five year warranty cost £6,600 which makes the Panda look expensive.

50 quid for a height adjustable drivers seat! Even mk1 Puntos had them as standard. Extra for side air bags.

I agree, both of these should be standard on at least the Lounge model, possibly across the range. Putting something worth £50 (retail) on the options list is just tight tbh. It probably costs Fiat about a tenner. Just a way of building-in profitability i'd imagine.

I see no issues with keeping it all together in one sticky - saves having umpteen threads all over the forum all saying the same thing :)

After all, this is the Mk3 Panda section, once the new model is released then it will get a new section - but at this stage, it isn't such a priority. I will speak to admin though, better than having more snidey comments eh ;)

If it's gonna be kept in the Mk3 Panda section then i agree, but as the launch of the new model is just around the corner and some posts have been different enough to warrant seperate threads, it's a shame a section isn't aleady in place to accomodate them.

I agree with you to a certain extent. However I think Fiat have decided to take a gamble on the fact that the new shape Panda will appeal to a much broader customer base, and so have priced it directly in relation to the 500.

The 500 has helped Fiat to attract customers who would never in a million years have bought one of their cars. But it does have its limitations which the new Panda should address whilst also retaining its small car character.

The big question remains as to whether Fiat is going to keep the existing Panda customer base happy. I am not sure the Pop offers enough value for money for what you get, so this might need a bit more work IMO.

As for the plethora of circa £50 options, I think some of them are pretty ridiculous as well, however I do believe that there will be room to negotiate some free ones. I would be very surprised if not.

Totally agree (again, lol). I think non-Fiat customers might see the new Panda as good value compared to the 500, and if a 1.0 VW Up! is gonna be around £8400 for the entry level 5door model, which doesn't even get electric windows, then the new Panda does still look to be priced fairly. It appears more capable as an all-rounder than several of its rivals (like the Aygo & Up! clans) so people could buy a Panda even if they intend to go on the Motorway regularly - i wouldn't want to do the same journey in a tinny little Aygo.

I do think £8495 for the Pop model might've been a wiser move, rather than £8900, though. And as i said before, some of those £50 options should be standard.

Why would the very slightly bigger, slightly heavier, slightly slower, slightly less economical new Panda appeal to a much wider group of potential customers than the outgoing one? I can't see why it would, though I can see that it would have less appeal to some existing Panda owners. The existing Panda does have some notable limitations - harsh ride and highish noise levels, for instance; the new model seems significantly better in these respects but I'm not sure how much evidence there is that these shortcomings reduced sales. Potential buyers are demanding higher standards, of course, and these improvements were necessary to keep pace with the competition, but that's keeping up, not getting ahead. The other "features" can be summed up as a load of funny shapes and distracting colours on the dash, which don't add up to much as far as I can see.

I think you've partly answered your own question/concern - being very slightly bigger, slightly heavier & slightly slower shouldn't matter to alot of people when weighed up against being better to drive, better riding, more refined and more upto date. Being slightly less economical could be a problem but it depends on real World economy rather than tests. We all know that companies can say a car is more economical but the truth is only found once a few people start running the cars day-to-day.

The current Panda has been a bargain. It was stonking value at launch (£8095 for a top spec Eleganza) and as the list price rose, offers/discounts got bigger because the model got older, but things move on - a Grande Punto was £7594 at launch in 2006, now a base model Punto is £9900. It's not just Fiat that are more expensive, everything is.

Ok you might be able to buy a base model Kia Picanto for less than a Panda, but the top-spec 3 door Picanto is £11,195 and 5 door is £10,695 after customer savings (the OTR are even higher). The Panda might have a (in relation) high starting price but £10,050 for a top-spec 1.2 Lounge seems decent value compared to the equivilent-specced Picanto.

If the higher list prices mean better quality, dealers & service then i think people will stomach it, but they need to realise that many competitors nail Fiat on service & if they think they can increase prices and not show a commitment to improving, particularly their dealer network, then they're very much mistaken.

I agree, both of these should be standard on at least the Lounge model, possibly across the range. Putting something worth £50 (retail) on the options list is just tight tbh. It probably costs Fiat about a tenner. Just a way of building-in profitability i'd imagine.

If it's gonna be kept in the Mk3 Panda section then i agree, but as the launch of the new model is just around the corner and some posts have been different enough to warrant seperate threads, it's a shame a section isn't aleady in place to accomodate them.

Totally agree (again, lol). I think non-Fiat customers might see the new Panda as good value compared to the 500, and if a 1.0 VW Up! is gonna be around £8400 for the entry level 5door model, which doesn't even get electric windows, then the new Panda does still look to be priced fairly. It appears more capable as an all-rounder than several of its rivals (like the Aygo & Up! clans) so people could buy a Panda even if they intend to go on the Motorway regularly - i wouldn't want to do the same journey in a tinny little Aygo.

As an Aygo owner (as well as 500 owner), it is actually pretty capable on the motorway - I use it every day as my daily driver on a 30-mile commute and it more than keeps up with traffic. Having said that, it is no 'cruiser' like a bigger car would be. I'll be very keen to compare the new Panda when we take the 500 in for its MOT later this week (apparently they're entering dealers from today).

I completely agree with people about the odd equipment mishaps - £50 for little things that do actually matter. It'll very much depend on the driving position as far as the adjustable seat goes, but I have to say that sort of thing should be standard. Same for the side airbags - very odd seeing as 'window airbags' seem to be standard - normally it's the other way around.

Hopefully Fiat will do well with the new Panda - it deserves to. Looks funky, the interior looks great to me. The only thing will be the arrival of the Up and siblings - which, to me, looks slightly better value in mid-level guise. The middle model of that car, for example, gets the electric mirrors and height adjustable seat which the Panda Easy lacks.

The current Panda has been a bargain. It was stonking value at launch (£8095 for a top spec Eleganza) and as the list price rose, offers/discounts got bigger because the model got older, but things move on - a Grande Punto was £7594 at launch in 2006, now a base model Punto is £9900. It's not just Fiat that are more expensive, everything is.

If the higher list prices mean better quality, dealers & service then i think people will stomach it, but they need to realise that many competitors nail Fiat on service & if they think they can increase prices and not show a commitment to improving, particularly their dealer network, then they're very much mistaken.

Agreed - and the 500 was £7900 for a 1.2 Pop when it arrived back in 2008! Funny how times change - but little cars definitely are getting more expensive. For example, the PSA Aygo/C1/107 triplets have changed their prices alongside facelifts, presumably to keep up with the Panda and VAG triplets - all are now very similarly priced. There was a time when you could buy a C1 for £5995 - not any more unless you go through a broker.

Agreed with you about the dealer networks etc - ours is fine but they still haven't changed over to the 'new' Fiat badge (even though it's now 5 years old)!

I had a long look around 2 of the new Pandas today at my local dealer. The new Panda is head and shoulders above the last one. The build quailty and materials are in another league. It looks so much better in the flesh and also much bigger. Its not that much bigger though its just that its more rounded and bulbous. The boot is larger than the old Panda but not by much. The interior is stunning although the dash pocket isnt as deep as I would like. I can still see things flying out of it when driving. The steering wheel is really chunky and great to hold. I wasnt convinced by the handbrake but you would get used to it. The seats are no better or worse than the old ones. There are fantastic little design touches that are typically Italian. From the interior plastics covered in Panda logos to little Panda badges in the rear lights. There is also a large plastic Panda cover on the inside of the rear hatch. I didnt have a test drive because at the moment im not interested in the current range.

I think Fiat have a great car on their hands with the new Panda. Although it is slightly more expensive than the old one you can why when you see it. Fiats quailty has just been going from strength to strength. The car is not what you would traditionally expect from Fiat. So it should be a big seller but that depends if people are prepared to drop their sterotypical views about italian cars. The VW Up is a major concern because people respect and trust german cars more. VW is just seen as more of a premium brand than Fiat.

According to the salesman I was talking too (who are usually wrong), Fiat arent planning to add any more models to the range for at least 2 years. So that means no 4x4 or sports version for awhile and thats a shame.

Well following on from my introduction thread in the newbie section, I give some more info on today's venture.

If you haven't read my introduction then very briefly, me and wife went out today looking for a new car, which would replace our pretty much hated Twingo.

So money being thin on the ground as it is at the moment, we were looking for a decent specced small car, it had to be diesel and not cost a fortune on the monthly payments.

We were at first very tempted by the £199 a month offer they have on the Audi A1 at the moment, but they are only doing a deal on the 1.4 TFSI. And I just can't bring myself to like the back end, I hoped it would grow on me, but it just hasn't.

So we wandered into our local Fiat dealer, now the only experience I have of anything Fiat, is that a mate of mine had a black Panda 100HP and although it looked good on the outside and went quite well, I was fully expecting to find the cars to still be poorly finished and with horrible scratchy plastics all over the interiors still.

How wrong was I, the new panda could easily pass, for the most part, as a car coming from Germany. Everything fitted together well, there was no horrible sharply finished corners on anything, and there is some cool design touches to be found, on both interior and exterior.

So impressed were we with what you get for your money and the fit and finish, that we've ordered one. We've ordered a 1.3 MJ in the Lounge trim level in white.

Now I can remember how my mates 100HP went and feel that 100bhp was pretty much spot on for that car, not too much power, just right. So my plan is remap the diesel to around 100bhp and the extra torque will help with the fact the new Panda is a little heavier than the old one.

So I sort of end up with a new shape 100HP, but with a torquey diesel lump. Yes it won't handle as well, but the suspension can be sorted later for not much money too.

Just have to await delivery now, don't know when yet as the guys computer link with Fiat was down or something, so should probably find out tomorrow.

I've just been to take a look in the flesh too.

Looks great! It actually has made me have second thoughts about finding a used cross now. The salesman said 4x4 and auto's are coming late 2012.
What with the multijet gaining 30% more torque the new 4x4 should perform a lot better than the cross.

The new Panda is outwardly bigger but i don't think much bigger inside. In fact, I'd say my Citroen C1 is marginally bigger inside. That's probably due to the Citroen having a longer wheelbase?
But, there's not a lot in it.

I think at the moment a twin air easy with a select few options is the way to go. For me, I'd definitely want seat height adjustment as I felt a little too high.
I'd still want a lot of money off list though if I was buying now.

The UP! debuts in the next few weeks, so I'm sure the press will have a few group tests coming to keep us happy.

Also had a good look round a couple of new Panda's yesterday whilst mine was in for it's service, overall extremely impressed looks better in the metal and the interior is much nicer, seems better quality too.

The only slight disappointment was that the extra room in the rear seems to be marginal at best however it did feel significantly roomier in the drivers seat to me at 6'5.

Dealer will be taxing thier TwinAir demo next week but are having to wait for another 1.2 demo as they've sold the original supplied, also they've been told to expect 4x4's in October?

Just checked out the new Panda at my local dealer today. Only a quick glance over, but very nice in the flesh and looks streets ahead of the old one for interior quality. Doesn't look much bigger, just more substantial.

Saw the first showing of the New Panda advert tonight. Bit iffy that several things mentioned in the advert are optional extras, but it showed off the exterior & interior fairly well, and fair play that they put the ad on inbetween Corrie - probably one of the most expensive advertising slots on TV.

Quite impressed with Fiat Groups TV advertising recently (y)

I'm going to go and have a look shortly...I've been very happy with the 2 Panda's I've got at the moment, although my MultiJet is starting to have a few small issues now and it may be worth seeing what sort of deal they could do on p/x. It looks pretty damn good from what I've seen, but need to see it in the flesh now :) I'm thinking of getting a Black twinAir this time with free road tax! :)

Have ordered ours today - despite not actually getting to take it out for a spin!:eek:

Now I wouldn't ordinarily choose to buy a car without taking it for a drive, but as we have ordered a 1.2 Easy it is basically the same spec as our 500, and I just thought what the hell!:D We were happy with the visibility, gearstick position etc, and so on that basis we just went with it.

We have ordered ours in Sweet Dreams Turquoise with the following options - heated electric mirrors, height adjustable seat, Comfort pack, 60/40 split and 3 rear seatbelts/head restraints, passenger table and cargo box. Negotiated the Comfort pack, height adjustable seat and cargo box for free along with some free mats.

The quality of the interior really is very good. The sand/beige interior is also a lovely colour as well (I really wasn't all that keen when I saw some of the shots, but it is actually very tasteful).

Will be a shame to see the back of the 500 - it has been a terrific little car to own - but we are looking forward to getting four doors and extra practicality without losing the small car character.

Should arrive by mid April as well which is a pleasant surprise too!(y)

Sat in one today at my local dealers. In the flesh the car does look good and the interior is pretty well put together with some nice detailing touches. The "Sweet dreams" turquoise is the sort of colour you wouldn't lose in a car park. Sitting behind the wheel it feels, well, like a Panda.

Couple of things though, height adjustable seats are a must for me at 5'11" as the fixed seating position (like the 500) is too high, I suspect the piano black dash finishes will scratch easily and the beige fabric looks good but the doors are going to get grubby really quickly around the grab handles.

I popped into our local dealer yesterday just to see if they had one, and luckily they did and offered me a test drive there and then...would have been rude not to take them up on it really! :) Very impressed, it still feels pretty much the same to drive, so no problems with transfer, but it really is very nicely done. I've got no major complaints with the 2 Panda's I've got now, but would happily swap to one of these anytime. Gazz-bee, you say at 5'11" you feel it's too high? I'm the same but actually feel quite comfortable at that height.persoanl choice I suppose, but having the choice is always worthwhile. I thing I'll treat myself when I do get one and go for a few extras this time like the entertainment pack with the connections, and the heated front windscreen which was a godsend on our old Mondeo, very worthwhile addition. I've done all the designing on the fiat site now, just need some cash :)

Interesting comments re the seat height - personally I agree with gazz_bee on this one, I also found the seat to be quite high in the showroom car and it didn't have a height adjustment feature. My legs were very near to the bottom of the steering wheel.

Re the options - my gut feeling is that people will be able to negotiate a fair few for free (the £50 ones in particular). In actual fact my dealer pretty much gave me free rein (within reason) to pick the ones I wanted for free. I probably could have squeezed a few more if I'd tried hard enough, but I was happy with what I got (pleased to get some mats as well!).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back