General 2012 Fiat 500 Sport electronics failure in the rear hatch

Currently reading:
General 2012 Fiat 500 Sport electronics failure in the rear hatch

mikealexj

Hi guys, I'm very new to this forum & this is my first post so bear with me. I have a 2012 Fiat 500 Sport with a 5-speed & some other options & I've had the car for a little over a year now & I recently hit 100k miles.

A few months ago, my trunk stopped working. I also happened to notice that when the trunk failed, the rear wiper, reverse lights, & third brake light failed, & the gauge cluster told me the license plate lights have also failed. I was pulled over for having no tag lights so I tried changing the bulbs for the license plate but they're not even bulbs. They look like motherboards with LEDs on them so I left those alone. I did change the third brake light and reverse light bulbs but they still didn't work. Finally, I took the car to Fiat, paid the $150 diagnostic fee & a day later they told me that my CTM (Convergence Telematics Module) needs replacement since that's what controls all of those things that failed. Now, I declined the repair from the dealer because it was ridiculously expensive at around $1000 which is probably close to the value of the car.

I've been searching for months now & can't even find the part in forums or anywhere else on the internet. I keep finding body control modules, which sounds close, but I'm not even sure if that's the same thing & I don't want to go through the hassle of ordering the wrong part. Has anyone else had these issues & if so, how'd you fix them?

If all else fails, I'll just bite the bullet & go to the dealer but I'm seriously not trying to drop a grand on a car that's probably worth 2.

Welcome there's a very common problem where the wires go from the body to the boot lid, trunk the wires snap short out causing all sorts of basic and other issues , abs for example, in Europe you can buy a repair kit.
I would look at this before ANYTHING else will look up a link for you.

This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
Wow man, thanks a lot for that. I viewed the links and they're super helpful and the wiring kit is way more affordable than I was expecting. I have zero mechanic/electrician ability so I'll definitely have someone else install that for me lol. I'm going to order the part in a couple days and try to keep you posted on how it works out. Much thanks

Wow man, thanks a lot for that. I viewed the links and they're super helpful and the wiring kit is way more affordable than I was expecting. I have zero mechanic/electrician ability so I'll definitely have someone else install that for me lol. I'm going to order the part in a couple days and try to keep you posted on how it works out. Much thanks

Welcome, as far as I know the licence plate bulbs are standard linear ones, yours weren't "LED replacements" were they? (still should have been removable) though, just a thought.
This is NOT how they should look; https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/C5W-No-E...hash=item23bb76dd3b:m:mBK97n_C2E6YHMF8F8Fs0Uw , if the same as in the UK

This is how the bulbs looks like not the exact spec https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/239-Fest...628455?hash=item420334b927:g:Oc0AAOSwpXFdCh9N

Last edited:
This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
Well when I did remove the lens cover, I noticed the wiring and there was a rubber cover over where I would assume the bulb would go if there is one. I'm not 100% sure since I didn't go any further than the first step of using a flathead to pry out the lens covers from the housing. Most cars do have that style bulb for the plate lights though.

Just bear in mind that with a North American spec car, we don't know for sure that the wiring arrangements will be the same as on a European one.

Lighting in particular is one area in which the specifications may differ.

I'd suggest only ordering the wiring kit after confirming that broken hatch wiring is indeed the cause of the problem (though I must say it seems likely from what's been posted).

Last edited:
Back