Technical 2008 Fiat Ducato 3.0 160 questions about drivers window and alternator

Currently reading:
Technical 2008 Fiat Ducato 3.0 160 questions about drivers window and alternator

Marmitethecat

My fiat ducato, ive tried to ignore the failing waterpump for months, but now ive ordered one as it making a right noise, but also the alternator is failing too.... voltage reading from 12.7-13.8volts. Im going to put a new belt on too.
I think the tensioner is a 15mm bolt on it?...
alternator i may have bought the wrong one, i was hoping to upgrade it from factory and so i bought a 180amp one, but i have been told this is a bad idea as it will boil the battery and possibly cause other damage as the van isnt designed to run a high amp alternator.. i was thinking to use it for charging a secondry battery ( its a panel van).
Also i have noticed that sometimes when the window goes up the motor carries on running for a bit- if its a sensor fault where would i find this sensor and is it replaceable?

thankyou, it appears ,no mention of installing a higher amp alternator being an issue for a secondary battery

thankyou, it appears ,no mention of installing a higher amp alternator being an issue for a secondary battery ... just need to read through and find out why the electric window appears to want to ' over close'

Bolts are traditionally measured by diameter, not the dimension across the flats of a hexagon head. In this context 15mm sounds rather large?
A larger alternator should not cook the battery, but a large secondary battery may cook the alternator. Problems may arise if fitting large lithium secondary batteries and high output B2B, as this combination can take large currents for a long time, whereas the charge rate for lead acid batteries quickly reduces. Member @Reg 65 has practical experience of using a large secondary battery bank.

On the x250 electric windows are controlled via an internal module in the motor unit. See page 148 of training manual. If motor fails to stop in one direction, then the internal module would be first suspect, but a faulty switch should also be considered.

Last edited:
Bolts are traditionally measured by diameter, not the dimension across the flats of a hexagon head. In this context 15mm sounds rather large?
A larger alternator should not cook the battery, but a large secondary battery may cook the alternator. Problems may arise if fitting large lithium secondary batteries and high output B2B, as this combination can take large currents for a long time, whereas the charge rate for lead acid batteries quickly reduces. Member @Reg 65 has practical experience of using a large secondary battery bank.

On the x250 electric windows are controlled via an internal module in the motor unit. See page 148 of training manual. If motor fails to stop in one direction, then the internal module would be first suspect, but a faulty switch should also be considered.
yes bolts are measured eg M5,M6,M8,m10 etc.. but i was told the Head is a 15mm ( spanner/socket size).
I think replacing the window switch on the drivers side is an easier option to try first

yes bolts are measured eg M5,M6,M8,m10 etc.. but i was told the Head is a 15mm ( spanner/socket size).
I think replacing the window switch on the drivers side is an easier option to try first
Quite possibly. I have added 15mm spanners and sockets to my toolkit. I think that @FreeSpirit mentions needing a 15mm spanner in his very useful cambelt changing guide for the 2.8jtd. Do not know why it is used, as 15mm is neither a DIN or ISO standard size.

Hi

A higher output alternator won't "boil the battery". The quoted current is the maximum demand it can supply, but the regulated voltage is still controlled within the alternator to be the same as a lower current alternator, typically 14.5 volts. So it will just deliver what's needed to charge the standard battery setup. I am talking about a standard alternator here, not one of the recent "smart" types.

The only thing you have to watch is that if you carry out modifications which demand high alternator current for long periods (like adding large capacity secondary batteries or B2B converters) you should check the cross section and rating of the cables from the alternator to these extra loads.

I wrote a guide to alternator replacement, see the guides section of this forum.

Back