General 2008 Fiat Ducato 130 Multijet 2.3

Currently reading:
General 2008 Fiat Ducato 130 Multijet 2.3

Tom 6464

Hi All. I am new to the fiat forum.
My 2008 Carper van is built on Fiat Ducato 130 Multijet 2.3 it has around 42,000 Km on the clock. I am having an issue with it not staring intermittently. It might run for a number of short runs, under 100Km's. then when I turn on the ignition the lift pump will not run. the engine will crank ok but no start. No lights coming on the dash. The ignition switch has been changed and the ECU has been repaired after It showed a fault which was repaired last year. The relay for the pump has been change. I also had the fuse box replaced just in case there was a issue with the with the connections at the back. My mechanic connected a multimeter to the connections on the lift pump to see it there was current going to the pump when it would not run. I found out when the issue occurs there was no current going to the pump. I also noticed that as the pump is cutting off after a period when the engine is not started that the voltage sometimes drops to about 6 volts before switching out completely, is this normal. The engine has cut out while driving in the past with the same issue. It can be difficult to get the pump to run when this issues occurs. What I do is keep tuning the ignition on and off until the pump starts to run and then the engine will start.
I have had the Camper brought back to my mechanic on a transporter twice and it started both times at the garage.
I have tried connecting the lift pump directly to the battery to get it to run, which it did but when the engine is cranked it still would not start. Sometimes if I leave it alone for an hour or so it will start normally.
when the pump will not run you can hear the relay cutting in and out as normal.

Would anyone have any ideas on there to go from here.
I would be grateful for any advice.
Tom.

Attachments

• 20230508_111143.jpg
    20230508_111143.jpg
    354.3 KB · Views: 88
Back