Technical 2006 RHD Grande Punto Dualogic non starter

Currently reading:
Technical 2006 RHD Grande Punto Dualogic non starter

rrijken1973

Need expert help!

Used my 2006 Grande Punto 2 days ago last, when I wanted to use it in the evening, I used the gear lever (dualogic car) to put the car in N in order to start the car, could hear the transmission try to get it out of gear and fail but still decided to start the car as it was a cold day and then usually the transmission has difficulty getting into several gears but it solves itself when warmed up. Car stalled though almost immediately. Trying to start the car again will result in nothing happening. Decided to disconnect the battery and let it be to have everything reset and try again the next day.

Next day I get into car, put key in, wait till pump stops priming and press the brake pedal, I can hear 2 clunks from the transmission trying to get it in or our of gear and failing and try to start with key, again a lot of nothing, not turning over at all.

Connecting multiecuscan and scanning the car and it finds body computer and several others, but not the engine ECU or transmission ECU so cannot see what the problem is.

Anybody any ideas? Was going to sell the car next week, but if unable to fix then the car will go to car heaven.

Ah, also just checked the fuses in engine compartment, can't see any blown ones....

Help is very much appreciated!

thanks! Pump primes fine. Brake lights also work no problem.

So the display says the car is in N, moving the stick to D or R and nothing happens. Pressing the brake and I can hear two clunks from the transmission as if it is trying to get it into gear or something. Taking of the hand brake, the car moves so it is in N. If the starter is stuck, putting it into D or R and then rocking the car might help, but cannot do this. Multiecuscan and I cannot see the transmission or engine ecu where I was able to see it before. Any more fuses to check? Checked the underbonnet ones.... Maybe put a live feed on the starter to see if it works or is stuck?

Any suggestion is appreciated, but think it is transmission related.....

Long shot but disconnect battery for a while then reconnect and check if you can see the ecus again.

Thanks.

Car has been disconnected now for 2 days but no go. Any fuses that I have to check?

Might take of the shifting robot to see if I can manually shift it. If not the car is scrap if possible then it is the robot mechanism.

Will clean up the earths as well guess.

Finally some progress. Was able yo read the gearbox ecu and it has a gear selection sensor error code P1742. Does this malfunctioning part prevent the car from even starting?

Does anybody have a part number?

I would say highly likely that engine start will be blocked if ecu doesn't know gearbox gear position.

I don't know part number.

Was able to read out the ECU the other day error P1742. Decided to switch 2 sensors to see if it would make a difference, so switched 2 sensors, used software to depressurize the system, checked oil level (which was fine), plugged in the pump again, had the system prime, and voila, car starts again and drives fine again. So just switched 2 sensors and not used any new parts. If the sensor was broken another error would have been thrown, none of that though, so am baffled as for the reason why. Happy that the car moves again though.

Was able to read out the ECU the other day error P1742. Decided to switch 2 sensors to see if it would make a difference, so switched 2 sensors, used software to depressurize the system, checked oil level (which was fine), plugged in the pump again, had the system prime, and voila, car starts again and drives fine again. So just switched 2 sensors and not used any new parts. If the sensor was broken another error would have been thrown, none of that though, so am baffled as for the reason why. Happy that the car moves again though.

That is great news :)

Could you please explain the location : purpose of the 2 x sensors that you switched..

Years ago I had a diesel FIAT that would remain Immobilised unless the cabin was above 20'c

It transpired that if I switched 2 identical relays (within the cabin) it would work..
like you there was no 'Alternate Fault'.. a little odd :eek:

on top of the dualogic robot there are 2 sensors and another 1 is on the front (all potentio sensors), next to the accumulator. P1742 is an error related to the gear position, so changed the one in front for the one on top in the front.

Back