Technical 2004 Stilo MW: Noise from the left hand front wheel

Currently reading:
Technical 2004 Stilo MW: Noise from the left hand front wheel

Malm

Since a couple of months I have been experiencing a problem with my 2004 Stilo MW 1.6.

The cars sometimes makes a cracking sound when accelerating from a standstill (only for the first second or so of acceleration, though). It also appears if I drive really slow and pulsate the brake power, almost stopping the car several times in a "jerking" motion. To me, it sounds like the source of this sound is somewhere close to the left hand front wheel (drivers side on my car).

The front spring coils were recently replaced, although I doubt that would be the cause of the problem. Could it be connected in some way to the shock absorber on the left hand side? My guess is that it could have something to do with the extension and compression of the shock absorber.

Any ideas?

Last edited:
The top bush you say... Just how do I check it? I guess it is not that easily accessible?

I took these pictures of the spring/damper assembly, but you said above the spring, so I assume the interesting part is not visible here?

fG0Djl.jpg

wYNgsl.jpg

Try and wobble the strut side to side/ forwards/backwards :confused: any free play?

It's quite straight forward to remove the front strut to inspect it at the top - two nuts/bolts at the bottom holding it to the hub carrier and 2 (maybe more) on the strut turret in the engine bay. You'll also need to remove the drop link from the strut. You should be able to remove the strut after that and take a good look at it (y)

when the garage installed new springs did they align the topmounts correctly?

if you open your bonnet and look at the top of the shocks there should be a small hole at 3oclock position in relation to the main shock top nut if you poke a 2/3mm allen key through that hole it should go through the metal work of the car and then through a small rubber hole in the shock topmount bearing this shows that it's all lined up correctly. i wonder if it wasn't lined up if that would cause the noise you're talking about.

Hello, I have the same problem as Malm described, anybody already know the reason of this complaint?

Should have updated this post after solving this issue, sorry about that.

This was due to a worn part but not related to the shock absorber. I am unsure of the correct English name (direct translation from Swedish would give "linkage arm"). I believe it is called lower control arm in English.

Will try and find the garage receipt and see if there is any reference to a specific part number.

Last edited:
Thank you for the answer. See attachment, is this the part you are talking about?
Rgds Remcoe

Attachments

• 999bol-391859-1.jpg
    999bol-391859-1.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 14
Thanks, Changed also my right lower control arm. Also fixed the problem. :)

Back