General 2003 Fiat Ducato 2.0 jtd whining sound please read

Currently reading:
General 2003 Fiat Ducato 2.0 jtd whining sound please read

oliverd642

Hey all, I just purchased a 2003 fiat ducato motorhome with the 2.0 jtd motor. Everything was fine until the engine got up to temperature, there then was a noticeable whining sound that matches the rpms, more pronounced and quite loud at around 1-2000rpm, seems to go away after 2500rpm. The cambelt, waterpump and HP pump was changed a couple thousand miles ago. Any ideas what it could be? its done a smidge over 100k miles.

It sounds like the power steering pump is whining but it’s not that. I had a listen around with my stethoscope and have been unable to find it.

There’s abit of belt/pulley squeak when cold but no whine. When the engine gets up to temperature I hear the whine start.

It’s very inconsistent too, sometimes it is barely audible and other times it’s quite loud.

It drives fine, took it on a 6 hour trip without any issues, just the whine.

Anyone have any ideas what it could be?

Well I had this too same engine, firstly I had the water pump timing belt and all pullleys changed but the whine remained, also with the aux belt removed noise remained! To cut a long story short the timing belt was fitted too tight! I guess when I got it and the garage who fitted the new one done the same!

Cheers Ronnie

Well I had this too same engine, firstly I had the water pump timing belt and all pullleys changed but the whine remained, also with the aux belt removed noise remained! To cut a long story short the timing belt was fitted too tight! I guess when I got it and the garage who fitted the new one done the same!

Cheers Ronnie

Thanks for the info! Did yours only whine when at operating temperature? Amazing they managed to over tighten it twice! Lol - would that be a DIY job or something for the garage?

Cheers Ronnie
Also, I forgot to add. At idle everything sounds fine, no whine

Yeah same with mine much more when warm, no noise at idle, when I bought the motorhome it had the whine my bad luck the garage overtightned
the new belt!

A lot to strip to get cover off the belt, engine mounting, egr pipe etc, and it has to be right!

Yeah same with mine much more when warm, no noise at idle, when I bought the motorhome it had the whine my bad luck the garage overtightned
the new belt!

A lot to strip to get cover off the belt, engine mounting, egr pipe etc, and it has to be right!
It’s seeming like it possibly is the belt whining then. Problem is, the belt was changed about 2-3000 miles ago…. So the p/o had been driving it around like this? I’ve only had it a week and the 6 hour drive was bringing it home!

I guess whoever fitted the belt should rectify, in my case I had done a few hundred miles on the tight belt and since it was slackened a bit have done a couple of thousand no problem.

If I were you and for peace of mind I would have it checked and make sure the water pump was changed. Do you had receipts from p/o on this work being done?

I guess whoever fitted the belt should rectify, in my case I had done a few hundred miles on the tight belt and since it was slackened a bit have done a couple of thousand no problem.

If I were you and for peace of mind I would have it checked and make sure the water pump was changed. Do you had receipts from p/o on this work being done?
Hi, yes I should get it checked out. I have receipts for the work done, belt, water pump, high pressure fuel pump and a few other small things costing almost £2000. The work was carried out in 2019 so I’m not sure if they will help now. I can always try I guess. Since then it’s done around 2-3000 miles. I would have thought the previous owner would have taken it back to the garage if it was whining back then 🤷‍♂️ or perhaps he got one of those “it’s normal, it will go away after a couple of miles” lol

Also worth removing the aux belt to rule out those pulleys, if still whine it must be timing area.

When mine still had whine after new belt kit and water pump I thought it must be the fuel pump, I bought a reconditioned unit but I got a 2nd opinion and they thought corectly the belt was too tight

Also worth removing the aux belt to rule out those pulleys, if still whine it must be timing area.

When mine still had whine after new belt kit and water pump I thought it must be the fuel pump, I bought a reconditioned unit but I got a 2nd opinion and they thought corectly the belt was too tight
That’s for all the info! It’s starting to sound like what happened to you. Perhaps it was whining before, he had a bunch of parts replaced and it didn’t go away. I’ll have to see if I can contact him somehow, he sold it to a motorhome dealership and I took it from there.

I’ll get the aux belt off and see if it goes away. I’ve been planning to but just haven’t had the time yet! The aux belt does look pretty old, I could always hope that it’s one of the idler pulleys or the tensioner!

It drove me round the bend at the time, hope it's an easy fix, let us know how you get on

I do not want to be a Jonah, but here is a link to the appropriate section of eLearn. I am tempted to speculate, that in the abscence of the appropriate belt tension indicator, belt tensioning becomes guesswork.

Wonder if (as you may b on to) be the idler bearing if it has an idler. If the whining sounds ever so slightly gravelly, that is a possibility.
It does sound slightly gravelly. I need to get the accessory belt off, it could be the tensioner or idler

It does sound slightly gravelly. I need to get the accessory belt off, it could be the tensioner or idler
Yep, roller or ball bearings can do that. more so if belt tension is too high, so the sooner it's all checked again, the better. If you can get to Telford, Dave Newell motorhomes can sort it for you, he did my last cambelt at a very good price, and knows his stuff.

Back