Technical 2002 Fiat Punto Hatchback SparkPlug

Currently reading:
Technical 2002 Fiat Punto Hatchback SparkPlug

Oh, yeah... I see now.
.044 in is 1.1 mm
But I still think that they will work. And I think that this gap difference is given by the ruthenium properties and how it reacts under electrical charge.

Lol... I don't plan to use ruthenium plugs, but yes, I am curious by nature.
So... go for it!
ROFL... hopefully no engine shaking, misfires...

1.1 mm Gap vs. 0.8 mm Gap

Would 0.3 mm make a difference ??? hmmm????

Remember when you find a true cross reference on an auto part like a spark plug, the Gaps are made to be identical and they align.
This Ruthenium plug is ONLY a fit in terms of: thread reach, thread diameter and hex size...
The rest is an experiment. There is no listing for Ruthenium on a Punto 188.
I just looked all this up. LOL
Buyer beware.
I don't want someone spending money on these plugs and then cursing me if it doesn't work out.

Yes, I saw those details in your post above.
My answer is in my post above.
0.32 [in]=8.128 [mm]
0.44 [in]=11.176 [mm]
Can't you find for the the list with the cars that those plugs are compatible for? That is just to completely get rid of all your worries in this regard.
I made a mistake here, too. I was under impression that the [mm] values are 0.8128 and 1.1176, but they are not. Those would have been much closer to the regular plugs' gap.
@PuntoGR Have you tried to talk to the people on NGK page, usong LiveChat? Were they able to provide answers regarding Punto compatibility?

I made a mistake here, too. I was under impression that the [mm] values are 0.8128 and 1.1176, but they are not. Those would have been much closer to the regular plugs' gap.
@PuntoGR Have you tried to talk to the people on NGK page, usong LiveChat? Were they able to provide answers regarding Punto compatibility?
This plug is not listed in Europe for the Punto....so contacting NGK won't help.
As far as I see, Ruthenium NGK is available in limited supply mostly to North American markets.
This was me trying to use it as a trial run, based on the thread diameter, thread reach and hex size.
All are identical to OEM except, gap size.
Gap Size on all OEM Punto plugs(Iridium, Copper, Platinum) appear to be listed as: 0.8 mm

Well, if the gap would be a problem, it is adjustable, by how the plug looks in the picture. Even if they say "don't adjust the gap".
But, I reapet, I think the ruthenium plugs would work just great as they are, on Punto, too. And the gap difference is due to how ruthenium acts under electrical load. I think it makes a powerful and steady spark and that's what you need, really, on a petrol engine.
If I was to want to fit ruthenium plugs, I would plug them and if they wouldn't work, I would adjust the gap. If they still wouldn't work, that would be it, but at least I knew.
And the cars they are listed for as being compatible, they don't have regular plugs with 1.1 mm gap, as ruthenium gap, the regular plugs gap is about 0.8-1.0 mm, just like Punto.
What price are the ones you found and wanted to buy?

And anyway, the gap difference is just 0.3 mm, as you've mentioned. And I think that helps with fuel consumption. You do want a larger gap on the plug, because that way, you have a longer spark. The problem with classical plugs, or the reason they don't have larger gaps is that you risk to be no spark there, so misfire, due to too large gap.
Now I'm really curious if the ruthenium plugs work on Punto and in the same time, I'm really confident that they do.

Last edited:
And anyway, the gap difference is just 0.3 mm, as you've mentioned. And I think that helps with fuel consumption. You do want a larger gap on the plug, because that way, you have a longer spark. The problem with classical plugs, or the reason they don't have larger gaps is that you risk to be no spark there, so misfire, due to too large gap.
Now I'm really curious if the ruthenium plugs work on Punto and in the same time, I'm really confident that they do.
Hard to say....

there is a possibility, that the gap may not match this vehicle.
I looked on a Ford pickup truck that I know Ruthenium were used on.
All Gaps: from copper, platinum, double platinum, iridium, ruthenium all were gapped to OEM specs: 0.054"
Only 1 spark plug for this Ford Pickup (Denso) had a gap of: Gap 0.040"

I don't even care about the misfires, just don't want to waste my money if it doesn't work out.
But the factory Gap on the punto does appear to be: 0.032"

It does appear that fuel economy as well as acceleration increased on the Ford pickup truck with Ruthenium's.

Back