General 2001 Door handles

Currently reading:
General 2001 Door handles

01marea16v

Just picked up the Marea yesterday, low mileage, great price :)

One problem it does have, especially on the drivers side, is that both external door handles have the external rubber peeling away, the passenger side has just started to do the same too, but not to the same extent as the drivers side

I have tried a search and cant find a mention of any marea doing this before, so I am assuming its not a common issue

How hard is it to remove the door handles and replace with some new ones ? What model year Brava/Bravo share the same door handles ?

My 2001 car has different handles to the Bravo without the peely rubber, I wonder if yours have been swapped? The tailgate handle hidden up in the handle has got the peely rubber but it is not visible so I just live with it.

My car is Emerald Green, I did manage to trace a full set of the black rubber/plastic handles from the 'net, hopefully they will arrive today

Im thinking mine has the plain black handles as its a lowly SX model and those higher up the range had colour coded ones ?

Im thinking mine has the plain black handles as its a lowly SX model and those higher up the range had colour coded ones ?
You're right, SX trim has door handles similar to Brava and other ones have plastic handles. You can buy any color they are easy to paint and would fit no probs.

As I have now purchased some like for like replacements, Ill fit them, hopefully they will last a fair while, when they perish again, Ill buy the body coloured ones and re-spray them

How hard a job is it to replace the door handles ?

from what I can remember once you have the door card off youll see a 10mm nut holding the handle on. The rods need to be separated then you push the door handle towards the front of the car and it just pops off Someone might give you a better way of doing it.

Will give it a go this weekend and hopefully they will all come off nice and easy !!!

Thanks for all the advice, changed all 4 door handles in around 3hours, not a difficult job, just time consuming to re-connect the rods into the handle, espeically the fronts

Back