Technical 2 gears at once

Currently reading:
Technical 2 gears at once

Recently my 1993 ducato 10 motorhome selected 2 gears at once while doing a 3-point turn. Needless to say it stopped dead with a locked gearbox. After much wangling of the column gearchange I got it out of reverse, but it is stuck in 1st. External rod cable and jopints look good. :cry:Is this a case of selectors crossed up? Looks like a big stripdown to me. Any advice anybody ?

Not being funny but how do you know it selected 2 gears?
because the transmission, wheels, were locked solid. messing with the selectror rod coming up out of the box with a long lever got it out of one gear, but no amount of movement of this rod will get it out of first. I drove it slowly into my driveway so things are now free but I imagine a box-out and a look inside is indicated. Am I on the right track ?

because the transmission, wheels, were locked solid. messing with the selectror rod coming up out of the box with a long lever got it out of one gear, but no amount of movement of this rod will get it out of first. I drove it slowly into my driveway so things are now free but I imagine a box-out and a look inside is indicated. Am I on the right track ?

hi,
IF all the controls seem o.k. then looking inside the gearbox is the logical step..
( I'm still unsure 2 x gears selected is actually possible..)

I've never heard of a box selecting 2 gears at once and I don't think its possible so your problem must be something in the gearbox has gave up or broken and has jammed the cogs inside, the best of luck when you open it up to investigate

Hi friends,

I removed the gearbox and the end casing cover, and could see that one of the selector rods [1st/2nd] was stuck very deep down and after much manipulating of the seclector rod coming out of the gearbox, it finally sprung upwards. I then went through selection of all 6 gears many times and could find no fault with either selection or freedom of movement. I replaced the gearbox with every care to the selector rod and cable and the fork mechanism and all now seems well enough, it drives well and changes smoothly, but I am still not satisfied. Please see my forthcoming Guide regarding removal and replacement of this gearbox.

Best wishes and thanks for all respo:)nses

Roland

Back