General 1996 55s running hot

Currently reading:
General 1996 55s running hot

dekinstoke

I'm convinced the Mk1 Punto has airflow problems that cause it to run hot. My particular car has always tended to run hot during the summer months - fine in the winter. I have recently done head gasket and replaced radiator, water pump, timing belt and tensioner while I was at it so i am pretty sure the cooling system is at it's peak performance. But it still runs hot when the ambient temperature starts rising.

Has anyone found a modified bumper/grille for the Mk1 that improves airflow over the radiator? I am convinced this is the cause of the problem.

Any thoughts?

The fan I have on a manual switch on dash as I had issues with the thermostatic switch wiring, but it works fine and i can keep the temperature controlled with it.

I replaced the thermostat when I did the head gasket (forgot to mention that) so i am pretty sure that is working ok.

define runs hot... these cars are not like modern cars that the temp gauge where the temp gauge just sits in the middle and never moves. You just will find they run a bit hotter in warmer weather - so long as its not overheating i wouldn't worry about it.... Do you have an aftermarket temp gauge, pretty sure the 55 never had a temp gauge.

so that said, whats normal running temperature in hot weather and cold weather. As in when you are moving along and not sat still, they will always get hot stationary obviously.

aftermarket temp gauge with sensor in top hose .... runs 80C in cool weather but nudges 90C when ambient temperature rises.

Still convinced it's just bad airflow ...

I have the same car issues as you .
I live in israel and my punto keeps getting too hot , everything is working at it finest
but israel summer isnt a joke .
i was thinking to short circuit with the AC fan , to max cooling from fan when needed .

From my understanding the temperature sensor connectors on the sender unit are subject to becoming loose/corroded and you then have a poor connection, this in turn means the fan is not getting any power as the ECU doesn't respond. I don't see 90oC being a problem. A lot of the time on the Punto the fan bushings seize. If you disconnect the sender unit the fan should come on by default.

Take out the thermostat from the housing [you will have to break it to do so] and throw it away. For a warm climate like Spain you can forget about it altogether. For a temperate climate get another housing with thermostat from the scrappers and swap housings between summer and winter.

But I have run a 1994 model 55 since new in South Spain and have never experienced overheating in any type of use except when the water level was low due to a blown head gasket. Maybe you have valve timing a tooth out or ignition retarded?

I agree, don't take the thermostat internals out. The car is designed to work in climates like Spain, its not even particularly warm there compared to some places the punto was sold. As stated before, I don't even think its overheating anyway but if it does it then its indicating something is wrong, masking said issue by removing stat internals is never the answer. I don't even think the OP really has an issue here, 75-80 rising to 90 is totally fine, 90 is a bit high for moving along and not in town.

Really if you are worried about it then you just need to give the cooling system a once over. In no particular order....
-when was the coolant last change, what does it look like - clena or all mucky and brown? If dirty then it needs draining and properly flushing through to clean it (not just drain and refill! drain, fill with water and flush, run for a bit, drain and fill with clean water, run upto temp and drain, repeat until only clean water comes out and then fill with coolant and water) and refilling with proper 50/50 coolant water mix.
-check thermostat operation, to test it you need to take it off really and at this point they are so cheap you may as well just stick a new one on and be done, crucial part fo the system so recommend genuine and not cheapy one off ebay etc. (perfect opportunity to flush the system)
-check rad fan operates properly, comes on at the right temp etc - if not change the thermo-switch on the side, check and clean connections at same time
-check the condition of the rad fan itself, does it turn nice and freely by hand or not? If not replace.
-check the condition of the rad itself, are the fins all damaged and/or corroded - if so replace. Run water through it (in reverse to normal operation), does it seem to be clear and not blocked? If blocked going backwards may flush it out, if not replace.
-Is the system properly bled, see guides section
-Probably the last thing to look at is replacing the waterpump - but really if it needs replacing it will be noisy rather than just not pumping. So generally advise this is just changed when the timing belt is renewed as its not expensive and its basicaly a few bolts if you have the belts off.

A mk1 Punto is not a new car anymore so its really probable if one of or some of the components of the cooling system could do with being replaced - of course they might not be original but if you don't have history to prove something has been done you must assume its never been done.

I replaced radiator, water pump, thermostat and obviously coolant when I did the head gasket.

After listening to all the comments I think I am being a little paranoid as the temperature only hits 90C when sitting in traffic and drops down to 80-85C when I put the fan on.

Thanks for all the input. I will just keep an eye on it and enjoy driving it . Lol

Back