General 1991 Val d'isere

Currently reading:
General 1991 Val d'isere

joetheroof

Hi all

Thanks so much for all the information ive gathered off this site so far. Its really an incredibke resource. I only wish I'd actually follwed some of the tutorials while I stripped pieces off the car!

This is a post primarily on the installation of rialzi suspension but in future I may post other projects. Its not an immediate cry for help but I'm sure you will notice I'm no mechanic and any comments are more than welcome!

First and only picture of me
On to the serious stuff>
A note about rialzi, they seem to make and supply really high quality parts and theyre customer service seems on to it. I did have an issue, I ordered a kit from them around 3 months ago, paid and waited. During the waiting time I replaced my phone (other one went swimming) and lost all my whatsapp chats. When I messaged regarding the order they didnt have any details of the order because theyd done the same. No excuses on my part but was hoping the business would be more organised than me. So Now the gear's arrived im pretty sure I originally ordered something else. And I dont have a parts list or any reference to what has been sent. So slightly annoying but going to fit it anyway because morocco is calling.
I started by removing the wheel, all bolts to the strut, and finally removing the strut. A lot of bolts needed heat and oil and a lot of power to release and I snapped one of the bottom bracket bolts.
I also just realised I should have removed the hub before anything else as in the kit is reinforced hub carriers. Doh. Mission for tomorrow or just leave the standard ones on until a later date.
Is there a way to get the hub carrier off with everything disassembled?

Then I dissassembled the strut carefully, cleaned all surfaces and put the new strut together. These spring clamps from amazon do the job but if you dont get them right and they slip off I can see an accident happening pretty fast
New suspension is a world stiffer than the original, hopefully not too crazy stiff.
Couldnt move the top nut and couldnt find the right tool so I just went for cutting it off, new ones supplied in the kit luckily.
Put the new strut together 2cm longer than the existing, not a lot of room for adjustment even though I thought id ordered adjustable between 1-10cm. Looks like its just the compression which is adjustable.
One I get this all installed what sort of tuning/adjustment do I need to do? Drives straight withought a pilot at the moment but i imagine that might change.

Was going dark so time to pack up, eat and read panda classic posts in the hope of having more knowledge tomorrow !

Tomorrow arrived
struggling to upload more photos.
Both struts fitted. Definitly need to adjust the camber....is this possible diy?😂
Also need to fit the modified flange for short driveshaft, have drained the gearbox so no test drive this evening but that all requires the hub assembly off
Rear shocks and lift kit tomorrow

Attachments

• C10AF4C5-9479-454B-926D-C8E3B36FBE3E.jpeg
    C10AF4C5-9479-454B-926D-C8E3B36FBE3E.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 50
  • 1CC2E276-0D6D-478F-8ACE-5BDBB6289776.jpeg
    1CC2E276-0D6D-478F-8ACE-5BDBB6289776.jpeg
    997.3 KB · Views: 24
  • 9DD4238E-BB01-4DB5-9A7B-5BACE2856CC9.jpeg
    9DD4238E-BB01-4DB5-9A7B-5BACE2856CC9.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 22
Added photos

Attachments

• IMG_0269.jpeg
    IMG_0269.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 26
  • IMG_0291.jpeg
    IMG_0291.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 31
  • IMG_0257.jpeg
    IMG_0257.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 31
  • IMG_0257.jpeg
    IMG_0257.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 35
  • IMG_0276.jpeg
    IMG_0276.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 25
  • IMG_0279.jpeg
    IMG_0279.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 24
  • IMG_0309.jpeg
    IMG_0309.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 21
I seem to have excessive positive camber after the lift.
I fitted the camber bolts supplied by rialzi but they haven’t made much difference.
The shocks are adjustable (just the spring compression) . Do you think it will change anything if I compress the springs (will try and post results after c-spanner arrives).
Also the lower arm they sent me is longer than stock.
Rialzi haven’t been great for aftersales help.

Anyone have any previous experience?

Just drove 1000km to pick up the new tyres will also post pics when they arrive

I seem to have excessive positive camber after the lift.
I fitted the camber bolts supplied by rialzi but they haven’t made much difference.
The shocks are adjustable (just the spring compression) . Do you think it will change anything if I compress the springs (will try and post results after c-spanner arrives).
Also the lower arm they sent me is longer than stock.
Rialzi haven’t been great for aftersales help.

Anyone have any previous experience?

Just drove 1000km to pick up the new tyres will also post pics when they arrive
I suggest you work out what is the maximum lift in the kit compared to what you have, and then work on the camber

Ok thanks. I got an answer from rialzi apparently I need to lift it more and camber will right itself. A lot to do before Morocco on Sunday!!
I suggest you work out what is the maximum lift in the kit compared to what you have, and then work on the camber

Just to follow up on this, had some useful input from various fbgroups and finally some comms from rialzi. Basically the lift kit is designed for 3-6cm lift (although seriously looks way higher than that at the moment) and with the longer arms and the springs not crompressed was getting a lot of positive camber.

Maybe someone can explain how that works….longer arm attaching to bottom ball joint somehow pushes top of wheel out!?

Anyway that’s how it was because when I compressed the springs the camber changed. With the eccentric bolts and spring compression I’ve got to almost neutral camber. Rialzi are kindly sending two more eccentric camber bolts for the bottom of the hub carrier so should be able to get it right when they arrive.

We’ve just set off on a little 2week surf trip down to Morocco (from south of france) . 1600 kms in and no issues touch wood. Car definitely feels more reactive with stiffer suspension almost to the point of being twitchy, potentially sorting the camber will change that.

Manual says -4mm camber how do I measure that? Or does anyone know what is it in degrees?

Anyway thanks and hopefully someone might find use in this in future

Back