Technical 1991 126p Gearbox issues

Currently reading:
Technical 1991 126p Gearbox issues

Rowdyjohnny

I was driving down the road cruising at about 50mph when all of the sudden the gearbox failed. I was shifting thru the gear as I was rolling to stop to see if I could get any of the gears to allow the car to go and no luck. Then once I came to a complete stop, I continued to try different gears and the car would not move one bit, but what I did noticed is that the speedo would climb up as I pushed the gas but the car would not move.

What do you think could have happened or what should I check first?

I was driving down the road cruising at about 50mph when all of the sudden the gearbox failed. I was shifting thru the gear as I was rolling to stop to see if I could get any of the gears to allow the car to go and no luck. Then once I came to a complete stop, I continued to try different gears and the car would not move one bit, but what I did noticed is that the speedo would climb up as I pushed the gas but the car would not move.

What do you think could have happened or what should I check first?
If the speedo is moving that would indicate the fault/loss of drive is in the final drive/differential gear area or a drive shaft issue, rather than actual gears in the gearbox, although if differential gears then it would still mean a gearbox/transaxle overhaul.
If it is safe to do it, is it possible with boot/engine lid open, handbrake on and engine idling in gear with speedo moving, to look down and see if one drive shaft is trying to turn, but not transmitting drive to wheels. This could mean it is a drive shaft issue rather than a gearbox overhaul.
Only do this if SAFE!!!! As you don't want to be run over by your own vehicle.;)

My son had exactly this on his 126 when one of the outer drive shaft flanges “exploded” at the splined section loosing all drive, easy fix.

Back