Technical 1981 Fuse box information

Currently reading:
Technical 1981 Fuse box information

stubdo

Hi All,
I've just got a 1981 X19 (uk spec) and new to the forum so please be gentle!

The car came with little original information and I was just wondering if there is any simple information on the fuse box i.e. what each fuse serves and what the fuse rating should be. I assume there would be an original manual or something that details this. A photo of someone else's fuse box would do as a starter

I saw one but when I compared to my fuse box most of the fuses were different ratings. Got a couple of electrical issues I'm trying to sort out.

Thanks

Stu

A good starting point and a book that contains all the information that you seek is the Haynes manual for the X1/9.
There are full circuit diagrams, lists of fuses and pictorials of the fuse box and relays layouts.
Think they are currently on sale at just £20.

Hi All,
I've just got a 1981 X19 (uk spec) and new to the forum so please be gentle!

The car came with little original information and I was just wondering if there is any simple information on the fuse box i.e. what each fuse serves and what the fuse rating should be. I assume there would be an original manual or something that details this. A photo of someone else's fuse box would do as a starter

I saw one but when I compared to my fuse box most of the fuses were different ratings. Got a couple of electrical issues I'm trying to sort out.

Thanks

Stu
If you have the barrel style fuses, they are notorious for a build up of surface corrosion that makes for a bad contact. Take all the fuses out and clean all surfaces, including the fuses, or buy new.
Other electrical contacts around the car suffer from the same problem.
I have an 87 x19 that the horn failed, the earth contacts looked fine, no visible problems, rubbed them over with abrasive paper to make sure, then it worked great!

Thanks for the info. It's an older style fuse box with the barrel fuses. I've got some info on the fuses, although there appears to be conflicting info but it's a start.

The issue I've got now is the relays, I've got one missing. the Haynes manual or other info shows the electrical diagrams but not the relay layout for the fuse box. Has anyone got a diagram that shows what each of the relays are?

Do you not have this cover for the fuse panel? See attached. I've got loads of spares if you are missing some parts.

Attachments

• 20220909_204416.jpg
    20220909_204416.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 112
Sorry, that should read ‘cover for the relay panel’, not fuse panel. Obviously some relays aren’t used on uk spec cars so this could account for the missing relays

Back