2113.jpg

1981 Austin Allegro 1.3 (so uncool it's cooool)

Introduction

This is Adam the allegro :cool: :yum:. It was the top of the range model back in 1981. It shares the drive with my Grande Punto. Am I gonna get booted off the forum now? Have I overstepped the mark?

2113.jpg

The height of 1980's luxury velour interior :ROFLMAO: :shakehead:
2213.jpg
my dad had one when we were young

yours looks fab!

That steering wheel off an Ital or is that model produced when the BL Committee voted the square steering wheel one of their worst ideas....?

Now if it had just been flat at the bottom it would have been ahead of its time!

Allegro was just a fat overweight mini / 1100 / 1300. Maxi 1750HL felt quick at the time TBH but I had just come out of a 997 Anglebox with 80,000 miles on the original motor! :eek:

That steering wheel off an Ital or is that model produced when the BL Committee voted the square steering wheel one of their worst ideas....?

Now if it had just been flat at the bottom it would have been ahead of its time!

No Ffoxy, it's an original fitment but I think all B/L models of that era, ie Maxi, Ital, Metro, Mini etc had similar if not the same type of steering wheel fitted.
Actually the square steering wheel was only fitted on Allegro's for roughly the first year of production which is a small part of it's ten year run but amazingly that's what people remember or hear about!

its got a clock:eek:

That's not all this beast possess being top dog, it also has a rev counter :eek:, intermittent wipers :eek:, illuminated glove box :eek:, velour seats, rear parcel shelf and interior door cards :eek::eek::eek:, reclining front seats :eek:, tinted glass all round :eek:, pvc spare wheel cover :eek:.
This level of luxury carried on on the outside too, side rubbing strips :eek:, silver stripe on the bumpers :eek:, fog lights :eek: and twin headlights :eek: (instead of the squarish ones on it's more humble brothers)!!!

I like it lol. Very nice example, why is it not completely rusted and in bits?...

*shuts the door on the way out*

Because it's swimming in waxoyl. Why it hasn't fell to bits in 28 years i must admit is a miraculous achievement :slayer:. The British Leyland workers must've had a conscience when they built this one!!!

Last edited:
Is the grille with the lights in it standard?

It looks like the one off a Triumph Stag

Must say you dont see many allegros around now, let alone ones in as good condition as this

Last edited:
Is the grille with the lights in it standard?

It looks like the one off a Triumph Stag

Must say you dont see many allegros around now, let alone ones in as good condition as this

Thanks for the comment. Yes it is standard on the top model (HLS) only. I must say though i think the headlights were the same on Triumph Stags and Dollys but the grille and headlight surrounds are pure Allegro.

That's not all this beast possess being top dog, it also has a rev counter :eek:, intermittent wipers :eek:, illuminated glove box :eek:, velour seats, rear parcel shelf and interior door cards :eek::eek::eek:, reclining front seats :eek:, tinted glass all round :eek:, pvc spare wheel cover :eek:.

mny first car had windscreen washers......you had to push the plunger on the dash to work them:eek:

Back