Technical 1971 500L - front side/indicator bulbs?

Currently reading:
Technical 1971 500L - front side/indicator bulbs?

Noah500

1971 Fiat 500L LHD
I've just got my new 500L and I'm running through checking the lights, etc. The headlamps are a bit weak but I don't think that's specifically my car. They are LHD ones but I may get RHD items (or just stick some black tape on the offending parts of the main beam lens).

One odd thing is that it has clear front sidelight/indicator lenses. The indicators do flash when turned on but they show white rather than the required orange... just wondering how on earth it would ever have been expected to have white side lights and orange indicator in one unit in the same clear housing - are there special bulbs available? Or is this just how it was in the 70s and I need to get new headlights with sidelight in them, and put orange bulbs in the 'sidelights'?

Were UK market 500Ls different?

Yes, UK 500s had side-lights in the headlamp and orange covers on the , seperate, indicator lights. Motobambino (Carnforth, on the M6) used to sell UK pattern headlamps WITH side light holders, I think that he still does.

my 500L has the sidelights in the headlights and the indicator lenses are orange

Mark at Motobambino DOES still sell the RHD headlampswith side-lamps---Part number:--EP0094--£35.94p each

Thanks all for the replies. Not me going mad then.. looks like I'll have to be shelling out for some new lights

Welcome to your new baby. In Italy the indicator / lamps are diff to the UK. I had to change mine when she came over. RHD headlight with in-built sidelamp and I put on orange indicator lenses.

But, you can leave the white indicator lense on if you wish and install orange bulbs. Some owners perfer the look of the white indicator lense so this is an option.

Also, I see you have the UK big front number plate. not legal but a few have the Italian front number plate (available from Tippers vintage plates) as this looks good.

I have this on my car, never been pulled for it, but a chance I may be one day.

R

Attachments

• IMG_1106.jpg
    IMG_1106.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 54
Thanks, LL. Ive just ordered 2 RHD headlights and 2 orange indicator lenses from Motobambino.

The number plates were put on by the importer. I'm waiting to see if I can get it re-registered on the correct 1971 reg no. but I kept the Italian chrome small number plate frame and when I'm sorted on the reg (yer or no) I'll probably get a small one to fit

Thanks, LL. Ive just ordered 2 RHD headlights and 2 orange indicator lenses from Motobambino.

The number plates were put on by the importer. I'm waiting to see if I can get it re-registered on the correct 1971 reg no. but I kept the Italian chrome small number plate frame and when I'm sorted on the reg (yer or no) I'll probably get a small one to fit

I have got a spare chrome surround for the rear number plate if you should need it.

I have got a spare chrome surround for the rear number plate if you should need it.

Thanks but I do have a chrome rear plate frame provided by the importer when he took the Italian plates off, though it doesn't quite fit the UK plate I've got on there.Having said that the UK plate does have a silver edge moulding so it has a similar appearance.

I have fitted 'Italian' plates to my car, but I always keep a set of the 'UK' plates in the car, which utilise exactly the same mounting bolts as the 'Italian' plates use---just in case!

ino.

Keep the UK number plates; then you'll never get pulled in for it, nor will you risk giving classic car owners in general a bad name for flouting legislation which is already quite generous to us. ;)

These were first fitted to mine over 50 years ago and still do the job as intended; I prefer that look as for me it adds to the nostalgia. :)

Attachments

• 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    10.1 MB · Views: 48
  • 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    12.3 MB · Views: 38
I finally got round to fitting the new RHD headlights (courtesy of Motobambino) , complete with built-in sidelights which meant that I had to adjust the wiring. I left the 5/21W bulbs in place for indicators and changed the lenses for orange ones.

(the plate on the front is to mount a plaque for the Tour of Kent next weekend)
aqms4XPgN0KPfQbVoaEqRx1UHkCOOoKccoWP6huLM1Y4V4NfvdzZAVzQCVcRh2AttlAO356YVdxKkhSVBsXTyKm2mME2nlzohJ15QBVeRXXVj8llSd4_K-XoHtdO0FhOdbPs7m0XdaQ=w2400

Last edited:
You will NEED to leave the double-filament bubs in the indicator lamps---the side lamps on the 500s are made to have both a side lamp AND an indicator lamp in them--if you fit a single filament bulb it will iether not work or work at double speed! Guess how I know?

Back