General 16V Panda Conversion - Will I dilute the greatness?

Currently reading:
General 16V Panda Conversion - Will I dilute the greatness?

This is all very confusing, the number of options there seems to be for engines or am I going mad!? I'd love to do this conversion one day but I've lost track of where to start. I wouldn't want to start having to make swirl pots out of bean cans like dragonman had to do.

if its already fuel injected, all you would have to do is change the fuel pump over ;)

i only had the issue because i had a 4x4/mk1/marbella fuel tank.

if its already fuel injected, all you would have to do is change the fuel pump over ;)

i only had the issue because i had a 4x4/mk1/marbella fuel tank.

Cheers DragonMan, so as long as you start with a spi panda it's much more straight forward? You just need all the wiring loom and ECU from the donor?
And the engine of course!

yeah, the loom will be nice and easy to do. they are nice and easy on those early to late 90's fire engines.
one thing to note though is the exhaust down pipe will need to be a little longer for any fire engine bigger than the 1.1

you can do this 3 ways..
the method i did where i just added 2cm worth of pipe to the down pipe by cutting it in half and welding new pipe in
adding a 2cm spacer between the down pipe and exhaust manifold, but you would have to remove the old studs and put longer ones in or use bolts.

or( as you wont have gear linkage rods) modding a punto down pipe. cutting it off and welding it on to the pandas original exhaust.

dont forget to swap the lambda sensors over too. the spi panda uses a 3 cable type sensor where as the 1.1 up uses a 4 cable type.

electronics wise, you would have the immobiliser to deal with. the best way to sort that out would be when buying the bigger engine, make sure you get the ECU, key and CODE box that lives near the steering wheel. you can find the code box by following the chip igntion barrel aerial wire back to a black box. when you get this, try to cut the wires back as far as you can.. make sure you get the plug.

connecting that up to the ECU is easy. the engines wiring harness will have one multi pin plug that connects the engine wiring harness with the rest of the car.

it looks scary but its easy.

for the CODE box, just match the wire colours.
the only other one you really need is the ignition live to the the ECU to turn on.. and that is an orange wire.

the alternator wiring would just be a strait swap over.

when its all in front of you its really easy.

dont forget to tart it all up too. good time to paint the engine block, check all the core plugs.. and a timing belt change is a dream to do when the engine is out of the car.

all things to think about doing before you stick the new engine in the car ;)

check here onwards for a bit of what is involved. forget any of the gearbox, gear linkage, or fuel problems i had as you would not get them. as far as electronics go, eventually i posted up a "how to" in the thread.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info John! Good to know!

Doesn't sound too bad at all. The wiring doesn't worry me too much - ended up scratch building the loom for the Trionic 5.5 system in the Saab. That was much more of a faff than the groovy Fiat systems sound like they will be :D

I'm still not sure on this - the more I think about it, the more an 866 cam'd 1242 seems like the way I'd rather go. Probably suits my driving style more. The other temptation is to try to make the 999cc engine a bit quicker - maybe an 866 cam / P75 head swap. I know it won't be as quick as a 1242 - but it might be interesting!

I'm more interested in fiddling with it than making it mega fast I think. A P75 headed 999 sounds quite fun, and probably almost as powerful as a standard 1108 :p

Tarting up the bay is a good idea though. Need to decide what to do with the exhaust too after the garage chickened out of replacing it and just welded it back together instead...gah!

keep in mind that the p60 and P75 head will have different bolt patterns for the intake manifold... so the 999cc intake manifold wont fit. the exhaust is the same though :D

im having a go with the 866 on the 999cc engine.. i am just waiting on drive shaft seals.

future reference:
866 cam shaft oil seal size is 30-42-7 with a clockwise/right twist.

keep in mind that the p60 and P75 head will have different bolt patterns for the intake manifold... so the 999cc intake manifold wont fit
nope,

punto 60 with spi has the same bolt pattern like 999 carbed head, no problem with carbed manifold, 100% fits. only mpi heads have four upper bolts higher because of the space for iniectors needed{ mpi has also bigger inlet valve}. We are talking about punto mk1 engines here, because after year 2001 there are further diferences, and spi has mpi head and bolt pattern

Last edited:
Back