Technical 16v head on 8v body

Currently reading:
Technical 16v head on 8v body

You can run it on the 8v ECU, but you have got a bigger worry than that, which is the pocketing of the pistons.
pocketing of pistons? does that mean i will need to change the pistons over? compression too high/possible contact? cheers for your help.

Last edited:
that was the original plan but the 8v has the cable and the 16v the tps. so i wasnt sure how id solve that.and i wasn't sure if the mountinp points are the same.

Last edited:
This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
you are swapping the whole engine aren't you? Its easier than faffing with pistons and other differences (i can't remember if all the oil ways line up)

your 8v exhaust manifold will not fit the 16v head. the mk1 16v manifold will bolt straight on. you may need to buy some M7 bolts to do this. Get them off ebay, they're not an easy to find size.

re loom, what are you planning to control it all with?

is there any reason why you're not selling it and buying a 16v?

you are swapping the whole engine aren't you? Its easier than faffing with pistons and other differences (i can't remember if all the oil ways line up)

your 8v exhaust manifold will not fit the 16v head. the mk1 16v manifold will bolt straight on. you may need to buy some M7 bolts to do this. Get them off ebay, they're not an easy to find size.

re loom, what are you planning to control it all with?

is there any reason why you're not selling it and buying a 16v?
yeah im planning on the mk2 16v engine.
so i need the mk2 16v exhaust mani and the mk1 16v inlet mani?
im was going to use the 8v ECU but i guess your going to tell me diffirent.
im not just going to buy a 16v because im in love with this car! and im up for a project. thanks for reply mate!

ok, if you're going to effort of dropping a 16v engine in - have you considered the 1.4 16v instead? again the mk1 sporting manifold, tb etc will go onto that (it's what i have in the cinq)

re ECU.. i assume you're best off keeping the 8v ECU and getting it remapped to suit the new engine. Saves upsetting the body computer etc.

i think you'll need to do some cutting and joining of looms to get it all right, but i do not know enough about punto electrics to advise where or what to join.

i've not seen a mk2 8v TB, are the sensors on it the same as the mk1? If so, then it'll plug in ok.

What about the air inlet temperature sensor and MAP sensor - is that a combined unit on the 8v? It is on the 16v.

ok, if you're going to effort of dropping a 16v engine in - have you considered the 1.4 16v instead? again the mk1 sporting manifold, tb etc will go onto that (it's what i have in the cinq)
i did consider the 1.4 but they seem rather rare+ i think the 16v 1.2 is enough for me.

re ECU.. i assume you're best off keeping the 8v ECU and getting it remapped to suit the new engine. Saves upsetting the body computer etc.
i hadn't planned on a remap, i guess it'l run like a bag if it does run without one. if i use the 16v ecu im going to need door locks etc arent i.

i think you'll need to do some cutting and joining of looms to get it all right, but i do not know enough about punto electrics to advise where or what to join.
yeah ill need to cut and join, ill be able to work out where when i have the new engine.

i've not seen a mk2 8v TB, are the sensors on it the same as the mk1? If so, then it'll plug in ok.
What about the air inlet temperature sensor and MAP sensor - is that a combined unit on the 8v? It is on the 16v.
yes the temp and MAP are combined. ive not seen a mk1 TB! ill look for pics now.
you've raised points that i'd over looked,thanks!
EDIT:TB is same.

Last edited:
doesn't the MK2 have a body computer? What is coded to that. Is dash bound to the ECU? I don't know these things, but they will need considering if you want to change the ECU.

Back