Technical 13.5 cm component in sei dash

Currently reading:
Technical 13.5 cm component in sei dash

dr_hillmann said:
lol maybe ill risk it for a biscuit. the mid in the dash will sound ok wont it?...

what shall i do about 6x9s and the sub in the back? i didnt realize there was a problem with it...

im quite flustered and worried by it now!

help please!! lol

Well the problem is because the cento boot is so small, and you are running two systems, each system is fighting for the available air space, essientially there isnt room for two and it becomes a bit distorted and can sound a right mess.

You can run that setup if you so wish, but for the cento the concensus is you use a sub on its own, or 6x9's on their own rather than both together.

Chaos is the one in the know PM him and link this thread and comments

6x9s will just be moved by the air the sub is displacing, and will distort sound, if you want to run both, put the 6x9's in the rear quarter panels. Also make a sealed box for the dash speaker, or it will sound lame.

hmm well wasnt planning on using the original parcel shelf anyway, thinking of making a board but having the centre cut out with mesh in it...

will this promote better air-flow and avoid the distortion?

ssshhhh, chaos will hear his name, and then chaos will reign lol

Sub's work by large air movment, speakers on the parcel shelf will compete for that air, and they won't be great together.

normal sound is stereo, put one in the middle and it messes up the image...what are you going to drive it from anyway?

If you need more sound, best is either 2 good up front and sub...

OR

2 up front, 2 rear, in the rear panel cards, and sub

anything else will not work too well I don't think.

Sorry to put a dampener on your plans, but think it will be a big disappointment.

Kristian

Last edited:
kritip said:
ssshhhh, chaos will hear his name, and then chaos will reign lol

Sub's work by large air movment, speakers on the parcel shelf will compete for that air, and they won't be great together.

normal sound is stereo, put one in the middle and it messes up the image...what are you going to drive it from anyway?

If you need more sound, best is either 2 good up front and sub...

OR

2 up front, 2 rear, in the rear panel cards, and sub

anything else will not work too well I don't think.

Sorry to put a dampener on your plans, but think it will be a pig disappointment.

Kristian

well i havnt started yet so it hasnt become a waste of money yet haha! havnt bought any of the kit, and am planning to learn what i am doing before i take the car to the chop!!

was planning on an infinity 6 channel kit - 12" BOXED SUB, 2 6x9s, 2 mids, 2 tweeters, crossovers, and a 6 channel amp...

Recommend finding someone localish who has a similar car/setup...ie 10cm and sub....and seeing how it sounds, recon if its a good one, you will be impressed.

If you were nearer I'd let you play with mine, certainly not much ££ and not much planning but compared to stock setup is fantastic :D

Kristian

didnt intend such brutality with the "boxed sub" i wasnt making a deal of it haha! hit capslock unknowingly, but i an a bit a a music junky, so haveto have a sub in the back...
is there much potential for speakers in the plastic work in the rear were the rear armrests as such are...
what speakers did you put in the original bays up front?

thanks

i will probs shell out for a multi channel amp and definately a sub. do u have door pods? (i looked into making the dash job cos i didnt want to make door pods when i first thought of it!)

how many compontent 10s do u have going?

cheers

oh and i spotted the painted dash in ut pic aswell, brilliant stuff, i invested sum time in doing that myself!

cheers again

All I have is head unit, 2 10cm mid+tweeter (in the 10cm package) and 12" fli trap sub....that it. I've had all my internal panels off though and theres plenty of room if you need it.

Can't be bothered fabricating pods etc really. I did have more plans for the ICE but it sounds so good I have better things to spend on.

Also have to admit, on my Sei, that is silver, and is standard on my model ;) noticed you white parts yesterday though, and it looks nice :)

Kristian

In my cinq I opted for the 10cm comps up front and 500w 6x9's on parcel shelf powered by a 500w amp.

Gives excellent range, and deep bass (when the boot isn't choc-a-block) without taking up too much space.

The only thing I suffer with is the fact that the sound flow restriction on the offside from the child seat (it is taller that the seat back).

(y)

lol thanks, im really proud of it, it came out really well, i was quite surprised actually. i did it months ago tho, but didnt put the pics on the forum so got no recognition for them lol :( but thanks!!!

im on www.caraudiosecurity.com at the mo looking for some sound kit, (its my fave audio site) hmm im getting a whole load of new ideas flooding in now....

is the general rule for centos tho if u have a sub, then avoid parcel shelf speakers??

cheers

have devised a game plan now. sub in the boot (maybe twin 10"), some components in the rear arm rest areas, something in pods on the doors, and some replacements for the originals in the front bays...

Last edited:
SkinzCinqSporting said:
I think maybe less is more if you power them correctly :)

i like that approach! it costs less, after considering your comment...

i fancy...
2x10", sumthin for the doors, and somethin 2 replace the originals up front...

Right, why not Sub and amp in boot, 13cm components off H/U up front in doors and some 16cm mids in the rear quarters with an amp? Will take a bit of fibreglass work but should be good.

SkinzCinqSporting said:
Right, why not Sub and amp in boot, 13cm components off H/U up front in doors and some 16cm mids in the rear quarters with an amp? Will take a bit of fibreglass work but should be good.
definately sub/amp in boot and front speakers straight off HU, not sure where to put mids, most probs the doors, hmm well, its up for debate, either the door pockets or in the rear panels...

cheers for all the help and advise guys!!!

ive got 6.5" infinity components in custom door pods up front, amped and angled towards the driver and passenger. the sound is totally different from the 10cm not only from the size, but the position too. and would recommend it any day!

with a 10" sub in the boot its awesome and VERY loud! the only thing is, when passengers in the rear all they get is bass and not much treble so thinking about rear panel installs. unless i remove the seats totally :chin:

dr_hillmann said:
the mid in the dash will sound ok wont it?...

Nope it won't sound good. For a start, you'd have to have it mono, so you'd have to sort out the amplification. From a staging POV it would muddle it. The mids rely more and more on positioning as you get to higher frequencies.

The subs and the 6x9s.......John's right, it's not recommended. Staging effects aside, the sub and 6x9s (if fitted to the parcel shelf) would share the same air space, i.e. the bootspace. The sub frequencies would move the 6x9 cones in a different direction to where they're supposed to go (i.e. the cones are moving out of phase with each other). This would result in the early death of the 6x9s.

From a staging POV, you will drag the soundsatge back to the rear of the car. This is not good. When was the last time you went and watched a live band, only for you to face the back of the arena? Never. You face the band so the sounds coming towards you, not behind you. It's the same principle in a car.

SkinzCinqSporting said:

Wouldn't be good, from a staging POV. You would have the tweets at a low power, with muddled mid coming from behind you, with a bit of mid at the front............the soundstage would be all over the shop!

The only time I would fit rear speakers (except for a sub) is if I was going 3 way upfront. That would be the midbass (i.e. 200-250ish Hz and below) as it's still omnidirectional enough not to affect the soundstage.

Back