500 (Classic) 126 replacement engine air filter

Currently reading:
500 (Classic) 126 replacement engine air filter

Good afternoon all ..
So I've recently taken delivery of my 500 from sicily and I've hit my first problem 🙃
The original engine was replaced.with that of a 126 , there is no air filter covering the carburettor, just a piece of gauze held on with wire . My issue is that because there isn't enough room to fit an air filter as the 126 engine sits higher than the original ... any suggestions or advice would be great

Attachments

• IMG-20220710-WA0007.jpg
    IMG-20220710-WA0007.jpg
    349.9 KB · Views: 121
Hi 7272, you should be able to obtain an alloy lowering block that fits into the rear engine mount this should give you more room above the engine. Pancake filters are available for carbs you will have to look one out that fits your carb. Whatever you do first you must REMOVE that plastic fuel filter and piping, replace the fuel pipe with the same as the supply to the pump - look how close it is to the exhaust!!!!!!
Ian.

My first impressions remind me of the film “The Good, the Bad and the Ugly” but being a piece of machinery there is no reason why the car engine bay could not be transformed. As Ian has pointed out that car in its present form it is too dangerous to drive. Not just the proximity of that plastic filter to the exhaust but there appears to be no pipe clips upstream of the fuel pump which is the pressure side of the fuel line. In fact you can see the scorch marking on the end of the fuel pipe where something like a cigarette lighter has been used to soften the pipe ends to get them onto the connections.
so that is one very ugly bit also that so called air filter. The reason you have no filter is because you do not a standard 126 carb on there but if I am not mistaken you have a Weber 30DGF carb, quite likely a 1/252 from a water cooled 126 Bis or if you are lucky the Panda 30 version. Either way you would need the special rubber inlet hose to connect the air filter so it is possible.
The bad, I can’t see the engine number below and left of the engine mount on the casting but apart from the carb everything I can see looks like a 499cc engine to me unless the crankcase has been bored out for 650 cylinders. Where is the starter motor positioned at the back of the engine, at the top or down on the right hand side looking from the back. You have an alternator which is positive but the exhaust shield and engine under tray is missing.
The good, you have a 500 which fortunately has not yet burst into flames ad blue paint looks pretty 😀

Hi 7272, if you have a Weber 30 DGF (check on the side of the carb casting it will be stamped 1/252) Good, it's a progressive carb and can be fitted without much adjustment. See my pic of an early engine build showing the pancake filter. If you know how much space you have above the carb I can tell you how thick the body of the filter is, it's a simple fine gauze coated in oil to filter the drawn in airflow. I think I obtained my filter from 500 mania in Italy, but they should be available elsewhere.
Ian.
DSCN2462.JPG
DSCN2462.JPG

Back