Tuning 1242 bottom end with 1108 head

Currently reading:
Tuning 1242 bottom end with 1108 head

NordicAnt

Morning all,

After watching a youtube vid last night of a guy fitting a 1242 bottom end to the 1108 head, i started trawling ebay.

Now I know there are multiple guides, but alot of threads seemed to be filled with chat and 'and it didnt work' or 'i scrapped it'

will ANY 1.2 8-valve bottom end work with the 1108 head from my Sei MPI. i.e the mk2 punto bottom ends.

I found one on ebay as a 1.2, but stamped 1342, is this the 1.3 bottom end, does that work with the 1108 head?

The reason I'm looking at this route, is that i want a little bit more, (Ive just fitted a sparky 40mm TB and have a K&N) without having to track down punto mk1 parts which seem to be pretty scarce now, and in all honesty, the engine in my Sei is in great nick.

I know that |I will need to change the crank pulley, manifold (and cat) and waterpipe as the punto ones are different. but this seems as close to plug and play as possible ...

Ive also seen, but cant find now, someone fitting a 1.2 head to the 1108 bottom end bascially making a high-comp engine. Did I imagine this?

thanks in advance.

that may make sense...

s-l1600.jpg

i am currently building a 1.2 engine and using my original 1.1 head as they are the same. this is all SPI stuff though.

i didnt think there was any fitting differences on the SPI/MPI heads. just a different inlet port shape and manifold as shown in the pic above?

Any 1108 head will bolt to all early 1242 8v bottoms halfs the thing you have to watch out for is in the pulleys for the cam an crank they need to be a matched pair as they changed at various years in the 8v production

cheers Hensey, so we're talking mk1 punto blocks then as opposed to the easy to get mk2?

cheers Hensey, so we're talking mk1 punto blocks then as opposed to the easy to get mk2?

I mean any 8v fire before the punto Grande style so basically any 8v with the same rocker cover as your 1108, I don’t know what car you’ve got so if you’ve got a mpi Sei it’s easier to fit a complete mk2 punto engine unless you’ve got a ported head ect then I can see why you’d want to swap it over

If it’s spi you can still use a mk2 block you’ll just have to run a matching set of pulleys most likely the ones off your spi engine and the buy a cambelt for a 1242 8v with the same pitch

f you’ve got a mpi Sei it’s easier to fit a complete mk2 punto engine unless you’ve got a ported head ect then I can see why you’d want to swap it over

perfect answer. Yeh I've got a sei MPi. I'll look for one of those then!

I assumed all the mk2 puntos were fly by wire, hence keeping my top end, but I'll just swap a hole engine.

cheers fella!

Back