General 123k on the clock, worth a punt?

Currently reading:
General 123k on the clock, worth a punt?

Looks a nice standard coupé. Driver's seat is a bit worn, but gliptone would bring it back to life. You'd need to find out when the belts where done. Lol at the "amazing" 123K mileage, yeah that's like totally awesome :D WOW!

Yeah, that made me giggle a little, it's about the highest mileage one on AutoTrader just now, maybe wow that it's blown up yet? :D

So other than belts (6yrs/70k for those?) what else is worth looking at, other than the usual rust spots, etc ... anything commonly fail on these beasts?

Wow looks jus like mine except for the fact mine has done under 50k, but seen that car on there for months and has not shifted prob cos of high milage. Other thing to look out for is obviously the condition of the turbo is there white smoke, idle ok? as these will set u bak more than a few pennies and have a real close inspection of cambelts and auxillery belts yourself (my main one was done when i bought mine but the secondary ones needed doing had light cracks) or by someone you trust as if they go will chew your engine up. Stock Exhaust system is pricey to replace and is prone to rusting especially the back box/tailpipe and depending on model of manifold also prone to splitting so you will lose power. (y)

looks tidy. They are pretty solid but go through the service history like a fine tooth comb. Most common problems you're likely to encounter are Manifold cracks (may sound loud for first couple of seconds of cold start up) but will then stop when metal expands.

The other are thermostats, mine got stuck open and as a result struggled to get up to full temperature!. Good luck! :D

Last edited:
Rust is the next big worry, there's a few already that are beyond economical repair due to the dreaded tin worm :( Check for signs of rust on the rear wheel arches, on the sills and also have a look at the slam panel, it's a good indicator of how rusty the bits you can't see are.

Back