IMG_0515_edit.JPG

106 GTi Project (Track).

Introduction

Hi guys,

So as some of you may of seen i had an S reg gti in black. Unfortunately this was involved in a bump that i felt was not fixable. Progess Blog

So today i got a big update and a step forward. I drove from Preston, Lancs to Kelso, Scotland to pick up a Silver Gti Rolling Shell. It needs my Engine, Gearbox, Front Brakes, Interior and maybe a few other bits n bobs.

We went in 'The Venga Bus'. A TD5 Defender with Disco Transfer and Few other select mods, absolute monster, and it flys Barely noticed the trailer behind.

So once we arrived i straped up the car and of we went through the scottish country side. Absolutely stunning.

After a few stops along the way......

and 350 miles give or take i ended up home. Gave her a good wash down before it went completely dark....

Tried to get most of the algae, dirt, tree crap and bird crap of the car, going to give it a better wash in the week and also going to remove lots of the panels etc to give it a good going over.

Plans are:

Clean the whole thing, even underneath
Drop in engine from the Black GTi
Put Half Leathers in until i can find suitable buckets and cage etc.
And pretty much go from there. Got lots planned but things will change as a go along. The biggest hurdle is the engine transfer

Hoping to use it on the track so a track slag is the way im going atm!

anyways more to come soon. :D
Well i got down to some more work, got some help from a friend which gave me a bit of s hove on the moral side to get more done.

All the cooling pipes connected up apart from rad

Most the electrics connected up (battery still to go)

Power steering connected up, needs fluid still and i also got other little bits n bobs done

Still got to transfer the brakes over and rebuild the wishbones which i am struggling badly with :(

Ohh i also put on my 4-2-1 Manifold & test fitted my Kam Exhaust ;)

SPEC/To-Do:
Put Engine in - Done
Spoox Fast Road Engine Mounts - Done
Spoox Motorsport Competition Front Wishbone Rear Mounts - Bought
Powerflex Uprated Front Wishbone Front Bushes - Bought
Nissens Aluminium Radiator - Bought
Rear Lowered 55mm - Done
Front Lowered 55mm - Done
Gaz Coilovers & Rear Shocks
Induction Kit (Raceland or BMC CDA) - Bought
Kam Racing Exhaust System - Bought
4-2-1/4-1 Manifold - Done

Last edited:
So the weathers been a bit crap so havent been able to do much. But done lil bits between the rain and the ground not being soaking!!

Took the wishbones to a local garage who stripped and rebuilt them for me. They look absolutely awesome.

Got a chance to fit them inbetween the rain as well. Unfortunately the ball joints are slightly out, so need to sort em, anyone got any ideas?

Also been to halfords. The brake fluid is temporary, want to get some race spec stuff in a few months for it!

So after a few weeks or maybe months of getting frustrated and miffed of with the no garage situation, the weather and just no time i decided to send it of to someone to get the final bits sorted (brakes etc). The car wasnt running yet so needed a few bits doing before we could even turn the key :/.

So after going anglesey trackday last monday with my mate and a few others we loaded the car onto the transporter(after spending ages rebuilding susp etc lol) and took it of to the friends garage.

So it sat quite happily for a few days until he got round to working on it. Until saturday just gone when i went round because he was having electrical issues, it wouldnt start.... typical! So it was mentioned it might be an immobiliser issue so i set to stripping the old car and stripped out the box from behind the glovebox and the one under the steering column in the dash. Ran these over and wacked in the underdash one first..... Turned the key and the sweet sound of a sleeping beast risen from the grave!

I had the biggest grin on my face. couldnt beleive it finally worked. Although it still had no brakes, seats, exhaust or anything like that lol.

Since the weekend the exhaust has been fitted and finished and most is done apart from the brakes which should be done by the weekend! So hopefully picking it up over the weekend to getit back home :D.

Looking forward to hearing the kam racing exhaust inparticular.... more updates to come....

Back