General 100hp and Snow

Currently reading:
General 100hp and Snow

You laugh, but a BMW going up the slight gradient of our road almost got stuck in about half an inch of snow about 5 minutes ago.......

Yep it's true, the ulitmate driving machines are rubbish in snow, I pushed 2 of them off the dual carriageway this morning on a bit of a hill.

Obviously whilst walking to work after deciding the 100HP was better off staying on the drive!;)

Yep it's true, the ulitmate driving machines are rubbish in snow, I pushed 2 of them off the dual carriageway this morning on a bit of a hill.

Obviously whilst walking to work after deciding the 100HP was better off staying on the drive!;)
Well RWD, snow and summer tyres just doesn't work. FWD cars have weight over the drive wheels so they get more traction.

Well RWD, snow and summer tyres just doesn't work. FWD cars have weight over the drive wheels so they get more traction.
Just went to turn my car around so it's facing downhill so I can get out and my 500 had a bit of difficulty getting up the same incline as the BMW but did a much better job tbh. Would have been good to see how winter tyres were different.

Woah! Mega downfall of snow started this morning at 7am, just as I was driving to work, the 15 minute journey took 45 minutes, the drive home was a bit better in the slush but the road I live on was like a sheet of glass, sort of slid into a spot at home :eek:

The roads had a blanket of snow and tip toeing to work was :eek: for 45 minutes

Still got there, unlike the Mazda RX8 and Merc CL32 AMG I was following
:cool:

TDQ: Fair enough, at least you won't be hitting me when things go wrong.

Let me tell you this: It's all fun and games until you actually have to avoid a flippin' horse or even a deer in the damn road. I've have to do this more than once and every single time, it's a terrifying experience, no matter how hardened you think you are.

I'll risk my life when I feel like it and choose to do so, by getting on a motorcycle.

In my car I want predictability, stability and all-round ability to get around. Proper choice of tyres during the winter gives me that. Slipping and sliding around and "having fun" on public roads is not part of that equation.

The sheer amount of silly bravado and machismo some people here and a surprising amount of people in the real world exhibit when it comes to driving is mindboggling, especially when it comes to winter driving. Everyone seems to think they're Colin McRae or Ken Block or Sebastian Loeb etc., but have no idea what actually happens when you crash or hit something or even worse, hit someone. I'm all for having a laugh in a deserted car park etc, but show some damn responsibility, why don't you?

Oh please, the way you talk you'd think we're all a bunch of idiots and that we haven't got a clue.

My car on the second day of ownership:

100hpsideways.jpg

I'm not being irresponsible, I drive well within my limits on the road. Those limits may be different than yours but that does not necessarily mean it's irresponsible or dangerous. I CBA to tell you about the horses I've avoided etc. I've been driving over 20 years.

I know all about hitting pedestrians and them being fatally injured I had that when I was just 18, that was a bit more terrifying than avoiding a deer or a horse.

Obviously you want different things from a car than I do, which is why you drive a MJ I'm guessing. Maybe it's worth realising that not everyone wants the same as you from a car. I'm not allowed a bike so I have fun in my car instead.

I had some fun with the handbrake going in and out of Sainsbury's car park tonight in the snow. (y)

Also got a bit stuck in 150mm of snow today trying to pick a colleague up who was snowed in. Got dug out in the end though was pretty bad around Manchester, I was one of only a few to get in to work today.

Last edited:
*sigh*

They're tyres for low temperatures and not for snow or ice. I live on the coast here in North Wales and tbh the weather is quite mild but even here during the last 4 weeks we've only had 2 days where it's been above 8 degrees MAXIMUM and that's for december which is the mildest month of winter. Winter tyres are BETTER in the cold and BETTER in the wet (I think we get rain here in the UK sometimes?) and if on the there is snow or ice the winter tyres are far far better.

:stupid:

Have a look here for help choosing your tyres, these are the German tyre tests (by Germany's AA equiv.), use Google translator to get the results in English (I ordered the top rated TS830 Conti Winter Contact from mytyres, supplied on steel wheels, arrived in less than a week!):
http://www.adac.de/Tests/Reifentests/Winterreifen/default.asp?ComponentID=4919&SourcePageID=8762

Winter tyres give amazing grip in winter, and in ice or snow they are simply brilliant - give me a fwd car with winter tyres over a 4x4 (for roads!) any day. As a quick test press the brake pedal hard on snow and the car stops - quickly - just watch out for the idiot tailgating on summer tyres! - I stopped to turn right yesterday and the Englander behind me in a RWD Merc with summer boots slid quickly toward me, then credit due.. mounted the kerb and broke his front suspension to avoid the back of my car.

Attachments

• IMAG0051.jpg
    IMAG0051.jpg
    775.4 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:
I'm not being irresponsible, I drive well within my limits on the road. Those limits may be different than yours but that does not necessarily mean it's irresponsible or dangerous.
Of course not, but you have to consider the limits of other people on the road as well. No matter how drive, they have to be able to stop and maneuver as well, even if their limits are on the more cautious side compared to yours.

Obviously you want different things from a car than I do, which is why you drive a MJ I'm guessing. Maybe it's worth realising that not everyone wants the same as you from a car. I'm not allowed a bike so I have fun in my car instead.
Possibly. I wanted a thrifty car that was fun to drive and somewhat practical on motorways. I test drove every single model in the Panda's price range and the MJ was by far the best match for those criteria.

Not being allowed a bike sounds a bit odd, to be honest, but fair enough. Just stay safe out there, we sure do disagree on a lot of things, but if you've got a good grip on things :)thumb:), keep on truckin'. No need for two reasonably sensible adults to continue arguing over relatively small matters.

And for a laugh:
2rc09q9.jpg

(BMW on summer tyres vs Audi w/ Quattro on winter tyres, bit of an unfair fight, wouldn't you say?)

you can do that?!:eek: dammit there's one just across the way from me :bang: but now the ice has gone, and there's a hole in my life till next year.....:(

I had to do that today. I live in a cul-de-sac at the bottom of the hill,
we only had about 10 cm of snow but neither the panda or focus would
make it up the hill, went out with my shovel and covered it in grit, 10 mins later the road was nice and dry.

Just about to send a bill to he coucil for my labour. (y)

I had to do that today. I live in a cul-de-sac at the bottom of the hill,
we only had about 10 cm of snow but neither the panda or focus would
make it up the hill, went out with my shovel and covered it in grit, 10 mins later the road was nice and dry.

Just about to send a bill to he coucil for my labour. (y)

Although i was glad i didnt get the panda up my hill this morning. Just heard there is a stray elephant walking around in Bournemouth, god knows what damage that would of done it i had slide in to it.

Finally managed to get the 100HP off the drive this morning after a visit from a gritter and some effort to clear the drive, pavement and immediate road.

Took about 20 minutes to defrost etc but then coped very well getting of our steep road with a good layer of frozen slush, certainly handled it much better than my other halfs GP Tjet which was more than a bit dodgy getting to the top of the hill!!!

Oh. I find engine braking when super slippery just locks the front wheels, these days i let the abs do the work! :)

Oh. I find engine braking when super slippery just locks the front wheels, these days i let the abs do the work! :)

Depends how smooth you are with downchanges, I always match the revs and have never had the front wheels lock on a downchange driving in snow. It's a good way to control your speed. I do use engine braking all the time no matter what the weather though.

Tell you what I'm really learning a lot this week having prolonged driving on snow. Also getting fairly apt with the handbrake too, certainly makes turning round easier. :p

Came into the empty car park this morning did a nice handbrake turn, there was a guy parked in an artic who shouted out 'are you charlies angels?' MMC.

Back