10 month bonus accelerator... Aaargh

Currently reading:
10 month bonus accelerator... Aaargh

Wow this is well messed up. I dont understand why people want to pay more relative to 12 months for 2 months less insurance.

I did pass plus and what will be 2 years of driving in march will have 3 yr NCB fully confirmed with norwich union.

If you look around you'll find companys which will give you intro ncb and use it to your advance.

It's a certificate to and from your current insurer, there's no reason why the next insurer should accept it as you don't have x years NCB.

In the same way, an insurer couldn't set up a 1 month NCB system and you have 5 years after 5 months, maybe they would accept it but it's up to everybody else whether they do or don't. Hence you would need to be loyal to that insurer, it's a bit of a con.

Unless you make it very clear to your next insurer that you were on a bonus accelerator you could have invalid insurance since if it was ever checked, you only have (say) 20 months and not 2 years NCB. This is why they *should* warn you as such.

pinin__prestatyn said:
I was on the bonus accelerator for 2.5 years with Admiral (so had 3 years no claims) I got a certificate from admiral stating "3 years no claims bonus" nowhere did it say it was from a 10 month accelerator package.
I then sent this off to my current insurer (tesco) who were happy to insure me.
So I don't see the problem? a certificate is a cerftificate.
To be honest, being reading this thread, I was certain this was how the 'accelerated' scheme worked?! It comes to renewal, you send off the renewal notice stating '3 years', or whatever, and job done?! What come back can there be - I haven't kept all my insurance details and certificates from 1989 to prove what I paid, and for what periods......

Doesn't bother me. I have 5 years no claims in my eyes. I have never ever heard of anyone's insurance being made invalid as they were previously under a accelerator scheme. Unless anyone can prove me wrong?

The Negotiator said:
It's all stored on computer somewhere I assure you Stu.

It is, but you would have to ask the individual insurers for that proof some of your older policies may be completely lost because they're over 10 years old. So long as the previous insurance company is happy to provide a letterheaded piece of paper stating thats what you have then there shouldn't be any argument, unless the bonus is implied and not actually officially recognised because its not an anual policy.

That's the point isn't it, the bonus accelerators imply a NCB, they don't actually provide it.

I am showing you that a simple 2 second search shows that the UK's largest insurance doesn't accept it. It doesn't matter what the certificate stated since you don't have 3 years NCB, you have 2.5 years but paid extra for your original insurer to let you use this as a 3 year NCB, if your new insurer is fully happy with that then it's fine, if not, you're not insured.

i was on 10 month accelerator insurance with elephant, and i tried to cancel, but they kept me going round in circles, so i just cancelled my direct debit. they complained a little bit, and i have never looked back (apart from when i'm driving :D).

Infact they provide their own bonus scheme but as they noted when I spoke to them, it's non-transferable and only for comp policies. I can't remember who the other company was that offered me one and told me it wasn't transferable, it was 2 years ago.

Edit: forgot to say, not only NU but Koa's insurer to be. On top of that, how many people can put up their hands to have made it clear that they were on an accelerator and infact only have (say) 10 months NCB?

Fact is, the insurer who gives you (say) 3 years NCB for 2.5 years being no claim will have no problem saying you have had 3 years NCB with them, however, it's up to the NEW insurer to be told that it was from an accelerator scheme and up to them whether they accept it as much.

Last edited:
It's a certificate valid for other insurers which see it as a NCB, which, as shown, isn't the company koa is interested in nor NU since both require 12 month NCB not accelerators.

No insurer can bend time to make it 12 months without a claim!

so its false advertising? i dont see why you are seeing such a problem with it paul,or do you just feel like it?
the holder of the insurane pays a premium for the purpose of an accelerated scheme,in my dealings with elephant the state you recieve a bona fide 1 year NCD certificate after 10months.
after that its a moot point that it was done after 10months.if the insurer wants to query the proof of NCD then let them query the insurer who issued it. its obviously an accepted insurer practice. when you state your NCD then you state what you have proof off. in this case your 1 years NCD.
if your saying that stating you have one years NCD is false then elephant et al are all false advertising and providing false information/documentation. although if within your policy documents you recieve it states you must have NCB earned over a pro rata period then you would have to notify the insurer

I see a problem since as Koa experienced today, they aren't telling people the full truth and it may mean people are driving uninsured because of it. This is obvious in the fact that Koa's NCB was refused (real life experience, not me making it up remember...) and that on the NU website it clearly states they only accept 12 months as being 1 years NCB, unless you use their own accelerator.

You will have 1 years NCB in the eyes of your current insurer but not necessarily your next one, if for example it turns out to be NU or the insurance company Koa is interested in. If he hadn't said anything like I assume most do, the insurer wouldn't have known either way or cared until (god forbid) a large claim was being made against the insurer and they would want to wriggle out of it.

This is why it's called a one year's NCB and not "10 months".

The Negotiator said:
This is why it's called a one year's NCB and not "10 months".
condescending comments aside :rolleyes:
in koa's case he has a specific conflict. but what I'm saying is if you state to your insurer 1(or whatever)years NCD then that is what you have unless it is explicitly stated it has to be earned over a months period.
it doesn't affect me so i have no vested interest in the argument but a lot of people are paying more for the months policies. i feel that stating 1 years NCD is an honest answer as you have earned it as per your previous policy though for me the difference in cost over 10 & 12 months on the quotes i got make 12 months policies better value.

Back