1.6 Multijet

Currently reading:
1.6 Multijet

Looks like the 1.6 Multijet Diesel that has been rumoured is to be a reality.

http://www.carpages.co.uk/fiat/fiat-bravo-06-02-08.asp

Going to be seen in the Bravo first and has some impressive torque figures. Hopefully this will find its way into the Punto as well soon. This will fill the gap left by the demise of the 90 and 120 bhp engines.

This was tested in this weeks Autoexpress. It's billed as taking on the Volkswagen Golf Bluemotion. apparently it does 62.8MPG and road tax is 35 quid a year. If you go on Autoexpress.co.uk the road test of it should be on there - they praise it quite highly!

Le Moniteur Automobile here in Belgium drove one in Italy and published a first impression last week. They said the 1.6 Multijet and a future 2.0 will together replace the existing 1.9 but not in the short term. The 1.6 will be offered in 105 and 120 HP for now and they drove the 105 version. They were pretty impressed in a positive way.

The problem is that here in Belgium, high output engines have a tax penalty. If you've noticed that here seem to be a lot of diesels from different manufacturers that make 136 HP, you got us and out stupid tax laws to thank for it. The road taxes for a 1.9 MJTD with 150 HP are much higher than for the 1.9 with only 136 HP or less. I'm kind of worried because there will be three or four new cars out from Fiat and Alfa in the next 12 months or so and I'll be buying one when they all have arrived and I can make my choice. As I don't pay Belgian taxes and live a long way from where I work, I get penalized if the 1.6 with 120 HP replaced the 1.9. Strange but true. Up to 1.75 litres, I can buy 200 litres of tax free fuel. From 1.75 up, I can buy 400. I may have to take a more expensive version with a 1.9 and 150 or more HP if the 1.9 120 is replaced by the 1.6 with the same output.

This same tax structure makes the new FIAT 1.4 petrol engine with 120 and 150 HP much more expensive to buy here than the standard versoin with about 80 HP. Same for the new Polo.

On another topic, I'm replacing my totaled Idea 1.9 with a 2000 Punto 2 with 5 doors and the 1.9 with 85 HP. Wish I could get the 1.9 with 100 HP out of the Idea and drop in in the Punto! That starts on Monday and I need to update my signature...

Last edited:
Back