Technical 1.6 coil question

Currently reading:
Technical 1.6 coil question

Steely

Dislikeskeyboardwarriors
quick question, right had number 1 cylinder stop fireing today, found out its a dickie coil, got a new one and all good!,,, but one question is as it was running on 3 cylinders does the injector on cylinder number 1 stop injecting if there is no spark?? because should another coil go down i want to know if it will harm the cat by driving it untill i get a replacement??

Last edited:
good question....i guess the ecu keeps injecting fuel but maybe it's very sophisticated and even blocks the injector of the faulty cilinder...I'm pretty sure one of the members can anwer this question??

On 1.6 if the coil stops working then the ecu stops injecting fuel on that cylinder, quite often coil faults will log injector faults also. This is why the engine starts up cleanly when the coil is replaced, because the plug is not soaked in fuel! The ecu will intermittently inject fuel on the faulty coil cylinder and monitor the acceleration of that cylinder when it fires to see if the coil has started to work again, if not it shuts the injector down again.

Back