Technical 1.6 16v stilo cutting out:(

Currently reading:
Technical 1.6 16v stilo cutting out:(

hottastilo

first off this happened about 2-3 months ago when the weather started getting nicer. It happened a few times then starts back up runs fine like nothing was ever wrong with it. then when weather got worse raining all time and etc the car ran perfect nothing wrong at all could run for miles stand in traffic and no problems....

the nice weather has came around again and the problems back :(........it only seems to cut out after the car has got to the correct operating temperture and has been stood still or in slow moving traffic for about 5-10 minutes. and brings up every fault code possible "loose connection" "asr failer" "high coolant temperture" "Alterntor failer" "fuel level sensor faulty" and etc you get the idea...........

leave the car for about 10 min starts up again and will run fine into i get stuck in traffic and or slow moving traffic... but will start next morning fine and this will happen again if the weathers quite hot out side 21C+

ive read the other threads and they dont really show no answers really so could any one show any light on this .. im not looking on spending alot on this car as we all know stilos are not worth alot when come to selling them and i was planing on selling next month any way ,

would be nice if some one could help me thanks

Very first thing you do is to recharge your battery. Slow charge at least overnight. Then check the battery voltage when the car idles. Should be around 14 volts.

Costs nothing.

but would the outside temperture affect my batterys voltage? if not theres not much point doing that as it runs fine when its cold out side and i had battery tested about 6 weeks ago and it was fine.. thanks any way

It's always worth checking battery when you get all those warnings and faults flashing up. You just never know with a stilo.

Although it does actually sound like vapour lock causing your problems, but that doesn't explain all the fault lights.

It's always worth checking battery when you get all those warnings and faults flashing up. You just never know with a stilo.

Although it does actually sound like vapour lock causing your problems, but that doesn't explain all the fault lights.

a vapour lock? could you explain this a little further please?

but would the outside temperture affect my batterys voltage? if not theres not much point doing that as it runs fine when its cold out side and i had battery tested about 6 weeks ago and it was fine.. thanks any way

What readouts did you get? I also had mine tested, and working properly. Not. When I tested it myself it was down on 11 volts.

On hot days I got "low oil pressure" warnings etc. The electrics are very sensitive to voltage drops and resistance variations. Just rule it out.

Then unbolt all earth straps and wirebrush them. Also costs nothing. :)

Clean the throttle body. See the guide section. Again, costs nothing.

Do the free stuff first.

What readouts did you get? I also had mine tested, and working properly. Not. When I tested it myself it was down on 11 volts.

On hot days I got "low oil pressure" warnings etc. The electrics are very sensitive to voltage drops and resistance variations. Just rule it out.

Then unbolt all earth straps and wirebrush them. Also costs nothing. :)

Clean the throttle body. See the guide section. Again, costs nothing.

Do the free stuff first.

ok ill try that... is there any other things i could try to start off with? and ill get my battery retested later on today

Anything that's temperature related generally points to a bad connection somewhere and 'loose connection' would seem to confirm it.

Check all well known earth problems and also check D4

ive just been out in the car and tryed everything to try make it cut out to show my mercanic freind and the car was having none of it it decided it wanted to be run today :( :S why cant it make it mind up what the car wants to do ... as i dont know what to do with the car now im scared to drive it away where as its awaiting game when it wants to cut out:(

have you cleaned the throttle body?, my 1.6 would do excatly the same until i cleaned the body using a good carb cleaner, just spray it into the throttle whilst the engine is running and it will clean any carbon etc off the sensors and butterfly. i now give mine a clean on every oil change to save that annoying stalling whilst in traffic.
roy

have you cleaned the throttle body?, my 1.6 would do excatly the same until i cleaned the body using a good carb cleaner, just spray it into the throttle whilst the engine is running and it will clean any carbon etc off the sensors and butterfly. i now give mine a clean on every oil change to save that annoying stalling whilst in traffic.
roy
Good tip Roy - but would that produce a "loose connection" message :confused:

batterys fine 14v car seems to be running fine again now :Sapart from some times say air bag failer, then says stop car......... ive came to a conclusion with fiat stilos dont buy one , and sell while still works im currently looking for a new car im going to cut my losses and get rid while i still have a bit of money to buy a new car instead of throwing money at this car...

batterys fine 14v car seems to be running fine again now :Sapart from some times say air bag failer, then says stop car......... ive came to a conclusion with fiat stilos dont buy one , and sell while still works im currently looking for a new car im going to cut my losses and get rid while i still have a bit of money to buy a new car instead of throwing money at this car...

There's a cure for the false airbag warning problem in the 'Guides' section...

If your battery is fine then the volts aren't getting through. Your car is trying to tell you so with "Lost connection". Redo your main battery earths -again all very easy and explained in the Stilo Guides

Back