Technical 1.4 500

Currently reading:
Technical 1.4 500

ahmett

Prominent member
Is the 1.4 Fiat 500 dead forever in Europe?
I quite like the engine and the Yanks still have it!
Whats going on here? Any ideas?

The americans have a multiair 1.4 it is a different engine.

Australia gets EU spec 500's and the 1.4 has been replaced here by the TwinAir. It's inevitable that the 1.4 was going to be phased out for the TA. I wonder if next the 1.2 will be replaced with a naturally aspirated TA?

Australia gets EU spec 500's and the 1.4 has been replaced here by the TwinAir. It's inevitable that the 1.4 was going to be phased out for the TA. I wonder if next the 1.2 will be replaced with a naturally aspirated TA?

but the TA is not as good as the 1.4! why go lower only and not higher? (unless there is a better TA model coming out that no one knows about??)
gentlemen, it seems the 1.4 club is a dying club!

but the TA is not as good as the 1.4! why go lower only and not higher? (unless there is a better TA model coming out that no one knows about??)
gentlemen, it seems the 1.4 club is a dying club!

The 1.4 lives on in the A500. FIAT delayed putting the multi-air engine in this car but put it into the Punto Evo.:confused:

Given the price differential of €2K between a 1.2 & a 1.4 only the Euro 4 model was ever sold here. I've not come across a S/S 1.4 or even a Euro 5 1.4 like the one you have so they weren't selling. At the 'end' on the 1.4 Lounge was available with the Sport 1.4 model being dropped in 2009.

Looking at the Lancia Ypilson model it has no 1.4 and size wise it was not too far off the 500 with 2 extra doors and a little bit of extra rear leg room.

The 1.4 multi-air engine sounds promising but has no extra power (101bhp) in the North American model compared with the European tuned 1.4 MA engine in the Punto & the MiTo at 105bhp. This is probably a perfect example of how an engine is tuned/optimised for torque (US) and higher bhp output (European). ;) [remembering bgunn's request]

On another thread I 'lamented' that there was no 1.6 N/A engine in the Fiat range mentioning that the 'new' Suzuki Swift had an excellent 134bhp engine. But at 147grs/km it is NOT being imported into Ireland except on a special request. With a tax sensitive market all the engines that are in demand currently are in the sub 120grs/km category and if it is in the next band it would have to have decent performance.

I reckon it will come down to demand and if the market wants a 1.4 in a 500. A poll might produce some interesting results.:idea:

Last edited:
The 1.4 lives on in the A500. FIAT delayed putting the multi-air engine in this car but put it into the Punto Evo.:confused:

Given the price differential of €2K between a 1.2 & a 1.4 only the Euro 4 model was ever sold here. I've not come across a S/S 1.4 or even a Euro 5 1.4 like the one you have so they weren't selling. At the 'end' on the 1.4 Lounge was available with the Sport 1.4 model being dropped in 2009.

Looking at the Lancia Ypilson model it has no 1.4 and size wise it was not too far off the 500 with 2 extra doors and a little bit of extra rear leg room.

The 1.4 multi-air engine sounds promising but has no extra power (101bhp) in the North American model compared with the European tuned 1.4 MA engine in the Punto & the MiTo at 105bhp. This is probably a perfect example of how an engine is tuned/optimised for torque (US) and higher bhp output (European). ;) [remembering bgunn's request]

On another thread I 'lamented' that there was no 1.6 N/A engine in the Fiat range mentioning that the 'new' Suzuki Swift had an excellent 134bhp engine. But at 147grs/km it is NOT being imported into Ireland except on a special request. With a tax sensitive market all the engines that are in demand currently are in the sub 120grs/km category and if it is in the next band it would have to have decent performance.

I reckon it will come down to demand and if the market wants a 1.4 in a 500. A poll might produce some interesting results.:idea:

Yes it shows how poor europe is getting. In america and other lands they do not care as much about economy as they dont have crazy stingy tax systems or ridiculous prices of petrol european style. its a shame.

my favorite example of this is the airline carbon tax which is really just a scheme to rip airlines off some profit and get some more tax revenue like they care about the environment. even better is the fact that china says i wont pay. what is europe going to do about it? nothing they cant do anything. if china says bye bye europe europe will collapse.
the time for european imperialism is failing.
people are getting poorer in europe with crazy petrol prices and ridiculous tax systems.
this is why fiat stopped making the 1.4 in europe while in america thats the only engine they have!
yes it is in the abarth but dont forget my crying is the fact that i want a naturally aspirated engine as i consider it more rewarding.

I have a S/S 1.4 in the UK. I kinda like knowing most all the other non abarth 500's on the road are slower than me, Lol! The Twin Air is just not as good if you want performance (not mpg performance). Besides i was averaging above 45mpg on a 40 mile trip yesterday with 2 adults and 2 adult bikes (yes, 2 adult bikes fit inside with the rear seats down).

Also the 1.4 500 competes with BMW's Mini one. The 500 is quicker and cheaper with all the extras.

Last edited:
The price premium of the 1.4 16V over the 1.2 8V was a bit ridiculous, compared to earlier situations with e.g. Punto 1.2 8V compared to 16V.

The overall package may have been a bit more serious but most punters couldn't justify it, even with the Sport package. Still a shame to lose the option...

The price premium of the 1.4 16V over the 1.2 8V was a bit ridiculous, compared to earlier situations with e.g. Punto 1.2 8V compared to 16V.

I only recall it being about 500 quid when I ordered. But that was in Feb 2008.

I think the price is justified, especially given that the TA which is worse is almost the same price! Less brakes and less power for the same price! Only worth it for congestion charge ppl but thats only for 5 km of one city of the whole world. 100 quid more a year for tax wont exactly kill you and i think an NA engine is cheaper to maintain than a turbo (what do the experts say about that? help me out here)
When i was visiting london i just made it that i went after 6 pm or went in the weekends, or if i really needed to gave the 10 pounds. Anyway boris made the congestion charge zone much smaller.
Fuel consumption is 'not that much better' not like its half the consumption or anything!

Last edited:
I think the price is justified, especially given that the TA which is worse is almost the same price! Less brakes and less power for the same price! Only worth it for congestion charge ppl but thats only for 5 km of one city of the whole world. 100 quid more a year for tax wont exactly kill you and i think an NA engine is cheaper to maintain than a turbo (what do the experts say about that? help me out here)
When i was visiting london i just made it that i went after 6 pm or went in the weekends, or if i really needed to gave the 10 pounds. Anyway boris made the congestion charge zone much smaller.
Fuel consumption is 'not that much better' not like its half the consumption or anything!

In Greece, prices seem comparable with here and in your case the €2K premium for the engine and then €2K for the spec i.e. the Sport/Lounge over the Pop meant that a 1.4 Lounge/Sport was €4K more expensive than a 1.2 POP. In the UK difference was £2,400. After 3 years the 2 cars were selling for roughly the same price here. So it made no economic sense since the 500 was all about cheap funky motoring.
The 1.2's output at 69bhp isn't too far off the 99bhp of the 1.4 so one could re-adjust.
If anyone was looking to pick up a 1.4 now is the time to pick up an ex-stock model. 135grs/km is very acceptable in Euro 5 S/S 'form'.
The 6 speed gearbox is a gem (compared with the 6 speed from the GPA) and the ESP standard and rear discs is a nice bonus.

Back